Mid 2012 Macbook Pro - Has backlight but no video - External Screen works fine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Batchy, May 6, 2017.

1. Batchy, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017

Batchy macrumors newbie

Batchy

Hi Guys,

I have been given a 2012 13" MBP i5 which has an internal display that doesnt work. Nearly everything i find online points to the backlight fuse, however, the backlight still works perfectly (when i turn the brightness up, the screen becomes perfectly white) . Theres just no image whatsoever on the internal display. I am writing to you on this machine using an external display. I have 2 x spare logic boards (both not working but good for parts perhaps) for this model as well as a few spare cables (eg LVDS etc) etc.... any thoughts on what could be the problem?

The previous owner had the bottom cover off with the MBP still on and when he moved it, a puff of smoke came from the LVDS socket or cable on the logic board and even burnt his finger a little when he touched it.

So its obviously a short.. but what, a fuse? or some other component. Ive read HEAPS online and still don't seem to be any closer to understanding which components are in play, and even where they might be located. I have studied the logic board closely and cant find any usual telltale signs that something fried.

Any thoughts, assistance, testing procedures and even downright schooling on the issue would be greatly appreciated! I don't have a spare LCD screen anywhere so that might limit my testing perhaps?

cheers,

batchy

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going go out on a limb and say your display is shot, it has nothing to do with your logic board.

3. Batchy thread starter macrumors newbie

Batchy

THANKYOU!!! thats the most direction ive been given to date!! :) time to 'borrow' a mates MBP with a working display then it seems!! haha

4. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

5. Batchy thread starter macrumors newbie

Batchy

holy crap! Im a little start struck!! Ive been watching and listening to a heap of your youtube videos!! Listening to them whilst i drive around for work prove very entertaining!- thanks :) - and i think i have found the right video for this.. ill report back once ive had a look!! :)

6. Batchy thread starter macrumors newbie

Batchy

Hey Louis IMG_2874.png IMG_2875.png , Ive been scouring everything for so long trying to find this damn 'L9000'.... Any chance of a hint? Heres what ive been looking at... The closest i get to is L9004.. :-( I know you're a busy man but even a hint or a clue would be great... im willing to put in the work but im at a dead end.. sorry!:)

7. Batchy thread starter macrumors newbie

Batchy

Ok so the screen is fine - as per the pic! I'm guessing it's something logic board or GPU related....

Attached Files: