Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
I have a non-Retina Mid-2012 Macbook Pro that will not charge. The green light is on and bright on the magsafe adapter and will power the laptop while plugged in but will not charge it beyond the capacity it's at. Going into System Report the batter shows 206 cycles and the condition as normal. Coconut battery still shows the battery able to hold over 97% of its capacity. I've also tried reseting the SMC. What could be wrong and what's it going to cost to fix? Thanks in advance.

I found a few threads with similar issues but couldn't find what the resolution ended up being for any of them.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I'm having a similar problem with an early-2011 MBP. My battery only has 87 charge cycles according to system preferences and also according to coconut battery so I'm definitely nowhere near the magic 1000 cycles. This just happened to me tonight so right now I am in the process of making sure that everything is updated and then I am going to reset the SMC. Have you tried doing that yet by any chance? I'll report back if it works, it's just very strange that I all of a sudden went from a perfectly functioning battery that would last hours to one that won't take a charge at all. Very frustrating!

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!

Andy2k

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
What percent is the battery showing at? I had a bad battery that had less than 100 charge cycles. I wouldn't assume a good battery solely on less than 1000 charges. Also what size MBP is it? Do you own more than one? The reason I ask is because I had a similar problem using a power supply that was under-rated wattage wise. It would power the laptop and keep the battery at its current level but it would not charge it. Maybe try a free trial of istat menus (14 day free trial but an app that's well worth the money). It should be able to tell you the current input from the power supply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.