Mid 2012 - Macbook Pro Retina - Screen coating issue and battery replacement in the UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rednev, Oct 18, 2018.

1. rednev macrumors newbie

Hi

I have an old Mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro, that has been a great machine for me over the years, and now its a spare.

The screen suffers from the coating issue that plagued this model. I believe there was a recall on them and Apple would fix them, but I have never taken it to an Apple store to get this sorted.

Also my battery in the device holds a minimum charge these days too, but at around estimated £200 to get it replaced im considering whether its worth getting it done.

However, I have seen that some people who have put this model in for battery repair, have due to lack of parts been offered a newer Macbook model free of charge because of this.

Has anyone done this recently (especially in the UK) for me to worth trying my luck?

2. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

That’s why I got me the 2012 non Retina MBP 15 inch. You can get batteries for it „on every corner“ for about 60€ and you only need to unscrew 3 screws to replace it....

3. DjanSeriyAnaplian macrumors member

DjanSeriyAnaplian

I did it to my 2012 about 4 months ago, they replaced the screen free of charge. I also had the battery done and wasn't offered a new model.

4. rednev thread starter macrumors newbie

Was that in the UK, how much did it cost you?

5. DjanSeriyAnaplian macrumors member

DjanSeriyAnaplian

It was, to replace the battery was 150-200.