Mid 2012 Macbook Pro Retina worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Spigz, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Spigz macrumors newbie

I'm a Web Designer and I decided to sell my PC desktop and buy a Macbook Pro because my job is demanding one.

I'm between these 2 refurbished models:
    Mid 2012 - $1,469.00
    Late 2013 - $1,529.00

The 2012 has better price, dedicated GPU, better processor.
    The 2013 has higher cost, integrated GPU, a bit lower processor.

You can get a better look in those Apple Store links.

The thing I'm worried about is screen ghosting in the 2012 version or any other hardware issue that's been improved in the 2013 version, or if there a no big differences at all.
    Do you think it's worth it?

Also, I like a dedicated GPU for casual gaming, that's why I'm liking the 2012 more.

Thanks!

2. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I bought my 2012 rMBP refurbed last July and it is a fantastic machine. Any ghosting issues that you could potentially have will be covered under the 1 year warranty Apple gives out to all their machines (refurb or new). If the machine was sent in for that issue, then more than likely the issue is fixed.

A quick pro list I would compare to:
    2012: bit cheaper, discrete GPU
    2013: faster SSD, newer gen processor, updated model

The base RAM is the same, the average screens are on equal levels, the battery life is equivalent (albeit slightly longer on the 2013 model), the processors are fairly equivalent as well.

Now, whether or not the 2013 model is better for the money or not. Like everyone will say: "that is up to you and your usage". I feel that if you want to do some gaming on it the the 2012's discrete GPU will be better for you. If you go portable a lot, the 2013 model has the Haswell processor in it, which should be more power efficient than the Ivy Bridge processors in the 2012/early 2013 models. I get 6ish hours on battery with my 2012 model, and the only place where the dGPU is a hindrance is running on battery with bootcamp (since Windows only runs the dGPU). Some people want the newest they can afford, and that suits them. So, either one you pick, I can promise you will be pleased.

3. Spigz thread starter macrumors newbie

I highly appreciate your help! You definitely have made my decision easier and I'll go for the 2012 model.

Thanks!

4. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

You're most welcome! Glad I could help.

5. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

I know you have your answer already but I bought the same refurb last year and it is totally fine. If you want to hedge your bet you can get Apple Care from BH Photo for significantly less than Apple sells it for.

I agree with the previous poster it is still a fantastic machine and should last you many years to come.

6. tritonv3pro macrumors member

I also bought a refurb 2012 rMBP early last year (February) and then got Applecare from B&H. This is a great machine.

I've seen the open box 2013 for as low as $1499 at Best buy. You could also use the $100 .edu discount and the 10% movers discount to get the price down even more. As mentioned you can't go wrong with either rMBP.

FYI: all of the open box items I've purchased from BBY have been in great condition and come with warranty. I had an issue with an open box iPad losing bluetooth connectivity. i took it to Apple and got it swapped for another under warranty.

7. Spigz thread starter macrumors newbie

That's amazing man, thanks for your suggestion about buying the AppleCare from BH, I looked it up and they indeed have a better price.

Thank you!

----------

Thanks for your tips and experiences! I really appreciate it, it makes me think I made the right decision, I already bought the 2012 and it's on the way!

This is my first Mac and Apple seem to have a great customer service, I'm having no regrets yet. :)

8. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer