Mid-2012 MacBook Pro sleep indicator light is not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RDAR, Jul 16, 2013.

1. RDAR macrumors 6502

As the title suggests. It's the mid-2012 model so it is literally only a year old maybe a couple weeks more. It was working fine this morning but now it won't come on. I close the lid and I know it's sleeping because everything is silent but the sleep indicator won't start flashing. It also does turn on a solid light when the display is turned off. I have no idea what is wrong. It can't already be broken can it, my friends macbooks are all over 2 years and nothing wrong with their light. I take very good care of my electronics. I've also tried to restart, shut down then turn on but still nothing will make it work. I'm on the latest firmware.

2. falcn macrumors member

falcn

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

3. RDAR thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried an SMC reset and it still doesnt fix it. Nothing is wrong with my macbook everything is working fine except the indicator light.

4. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

Just take it to the Genius Bar and see what they say. It's free to troubleshoot the issue.

5. RDAR thread starter macrumors 6502

WOW, I feel like a complete idiot lol. My problem was that there was no problem. I am just a dumbass. Observe the pictures below:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I bought a new case for my MacBook and I thought that the open space in the first picture was the sleep indicator but it isn't lol. Anyways I feel like an idiot, what is that other line there for anyways lol????

6. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

It's an IR sensor for an Apple remote control.

7. dazlicous, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

I would say its more dumb that the case covers the light completely.
    But glad you don't have a issue with your MBP

8. mretfaster macrumors newbie

Still No SIL

I actually DO have a problem with the SIL lately. It doesn't turn on when the computer is sleeping. At All.
    I've reset the PRAM and the SMU on it several times in the past 24 HRS hoping one of these times will kick the SIL back on. No resolve. The only change was that the time&date reset to some random December 31 several years ago.

Anyone have any luck dealing with this?
    Ya'll rock, great forum