Mid-2012 MBA (i7/8 GB) - anyone experiencing fan noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by webstarcool, Jun 19, 2013.

1. webstarcool macrumors member

I have a mid-2012 MBA with i7/8 GB/256 GB SSD and it's around a year old now. Ever since I got it, I have been wondering why the fans run at high speed almost all the time. It doesn't take more than a simple program or two before the fan kicks in and they keep on going. And it's noisy.

I have tried to clean out my MBA, reinstall it with a fresh copy of Mountain Lion and nothing helps. I had an MBA from 2010 and it was totally quiet.

I had the computer checked with Apple twice and they say it runs like normal. I simply cannot believe that a computer of this caliber has to be this noisy and runs this hot. I'm convinced Apple maybe dimensioned the cooling solution for the i5, but didn't properly dimension it for the i7, which is why it needs to vent almost all the time.

I'm very frustrated with my machine and Apple don't want to do anything about it as they says it's perfectly normal.

What are your experiences? Have any of you been wondering the same thing and have you consulted Apple about it?

Thanks in advance from an unhappy MBA 2012 owner.

2. Ken S macrumors member

That doesn't sound right -- same 2012 i7/8G here, but fans rarely kick in. When I do hear the fans, it's because of a rouge Java applet that didn't shut down properly and is consuming resources in the background.

Have you tried seeing what processes are consuming your CPU resources using Activity Monitor?