Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
I wonder if anyone can shed some light on an issue i'm facing with my mac. I've recently had a repair carried out by a chap in the UK, to fix a charging issue. The machine charges perfectly fine now, but more recently I've experienced, on a few occasions, some really strange screen artefacts (pics attached). After spending £150~ just now on the charging issue, I'm not against paying to get this resolved, but I just want to know it'll definitely be sorted if I do.

Best,

Andy.

IMG_20190326_090436.jpg
IMG_20190326_090452.jpg
IMG_20190331_150731 (1).jpg

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
When you take a screenshot and view it on a different device, does the problem also show up? If not then it could be a GPU issue.

If you make a new login account does it also happen there?

Based on the lack of shadows and the missing corners it could be software, but the sudden change around the time the machine was opened is suspiciously like hardware.

If you have the 15 inch model with two GPUs you can set one and then the other and see if the situation changes.

Use this moment to update your backups. If you use Time Machine you can wipe your machine to start fresh to see if anything changes and bring everything back as well.

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Hi,

I have tried mirroring the display to my monitor whilst the issue is occurring, and the monitor shows the exact same artifacts .I haven't tried a different account, but will! Also, I'm going to try some different ram sticks to see if they are dying, as I've read that can cause these type of issues....?

Best wishes

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
This is hardware so many things are possible. Apple will usually give a free diagnosis, the trick is to have the problem when they look at it.

You can also try half of your RAM at a time, therefore you don't need to get more.

Does a reboot fix things?

How about a shutdown for a bit (to let it cool down) and then trying it again? If a cool down helps then a solder join somewhere could be loose and heat causes the loose component to move away from its position.

Also try the Hardware Test by holding "D" during a boot up: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201257

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Hi,

I've replaced both sticks of RAM and haven't experienced any issues at all since... I sincerely hope this is the end of it! The only down side is that the RAM i've installed is only 4GB total, as opposed to 8GB originally. However, it seems to be running perfectly fine with just 4!

Best,

Andy

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I wonder if the old ram was bad or if it just needed to be re seated

that happened to me once I pulled out the ram and put it back in and it was better - wasn’t exactly the same problem though

razdog94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2018
UK
Well, after approx 2 weeks with the new ram, laptop running perfectly! Fingers crossed it continues....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.