Mid 2012 MBP Hard Drive Toast..Now What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by R.Trumbo, May 22, 2017.

1. R.Trumbo macrumors newbie

R.Trumbo

My Mid 2012 MBP Hard Drive just took nose dive unfortunately, and now I'm left contemplating replacing with Samsung SSD, or moving on with a 2015 MBA. I mainly use my laptop for lesson plans, internet, PowerPoint, no gaming. Here is what I know about my model and 1 I am considering from seller:
    Mine: Mid 2012 13" Pro, dual-core intel core i5, 2.5 GHz, 4 GB (2 DIMMs)
    Seller: 2015 13" Air, 1.6 GH Intel Core i5, 4 GB (1600MHZ DDR3)

I am open to other suggestions, however need to decide quickly as being without a laptop at the moment is painful. Thank you

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well a new computer will be supported for much longer if you can put up with the TN panel over the IPS panel on your MBP. To be honest the MBP will run just as well for your usage with an SSD in it but at 5 years old you have to consider whether it's worth putting the money into an old machine.

3. R.Trumbo thread starter macrumors newbie

R.Trumbo

Yes, I admit technology talk is foreign language to me beyond what use in the classroom, so I'm not sure what the TN or IPS panel is. I am weighing out, is my MBP worth the $170 for the SSD, or will I notice a significant difference in the newer 2015 Air which would set me back $600. Will 1 GHz difference between the models be noticeable to me?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yes, do it.

Just a heads up that the HDD cable may also be faulty on your model; it's a widespread issue. This sometimes gives the impression of a drive failing, though I'd wager the HDD is faulty too. However Apple have a free repair program for the HDD cable, so they can sort that out if you go to an Apple Store/AASP.

In fact you could even pop in with your new SSD and I'm sure they'd be happy to fit it for you. They're pretty accomodating.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The 2015 Air has a far newer architecture for the processor and is actually faster in many things than the MBP, no worries on performance and it has a far better graphics unit.

The panel is the screen, the air uses very old technology with not the greatest viewing angles or colour, the MBP has a better quality if slightly lower resolution screen.

$170 is a fairly small investment and should see you through at least another couple of years barring any other hardware failure for your MBP however you could go with a smaller lighter more portable machine with better longevity but it is an investment. If I was you I'd probably go with the SSD and your existing machine, unless the battery was in imminent danger of needing replacing or it has other issues.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

This is a 2012 NON-retina MBPro, is this correct?

If so, the "sudden disappearance or malfunctioning" of the hard drive may indicate a failure of the drive ribbon cable, and not the drive itself.

There is a FREE cable replacement program from Apple.
    If you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store nearby, make an appointment for the Genius Bar right now.
    This may get you fixed up in short order.

I would recommend that even if the problem turns out to be "just the cable", that you consider putting an SSD into it anyway.

The read speeds will jump up about 4x if you do this.
    You will LIKE the new speeds, it will transform the computer.

Just about any SSD will do, I like Crucial and Sandisk.
    You don't need to spend too much, a 240 or 480gb size will do.
    Go to ifixit.com to see what's involved (it's EASY).
    Be sure to buy and use the right tools.

But make that Genius Bar appointment today!

7. R.Trumbo thread starter macrumors newbie

R.Trumbo

So, I just paid $97 in January for the ribbon cable to be replaced at Apple and was hoping that's what it was this time... however on Friday their diagnostic showed a failed Hard Drive. Thank you for your recommendation of ifixit. The Apple tech during my genius appointment had mentioned it but I (juggling three children) couldn't remember what it was called once I left the store!) I'll be sure to go there before ordering the SSD. Thank you everyone!!

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

If it is the hard drive and not the cable, you have some low-cost options to get you into a reasonably good SSD.

If you can get away with using a 128 GB drive, there are reasonably good quality SSDs available in the $40-60 range. The best value right now in the size is probably the Silicon Power S60, because it uses high-quality MLC NAND, yet is often sold for less than $55.
    https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Powe...574680&sr=8-1&keywords=silicon+power+ssd&th=1

9. Audit13 macrumors 6502a

Audit13

I would definitely consider a Samsung 850 evo or crucial mx300 too.