Mid 2012 MBP Locking up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wct097, Apr 23, 2015.

1. wct097 macrumors 6502

Posted about this before but got no response. Hoping someone else has had this problem and can help me get this resolved. I've taken it to the local Apple service center and they were unable to find any hardware problems, so I'm thinking it's a software problem. I'd rather not have to wipe the machine and start over, but it's getting to the point where I've lost enough work that the computer is no longer viable for work.

The symptoms are as follows:

* Machine locks up, cursor doesn't move, no keyboard input evokes a response
    * Always happens when Safari is being used and in focus (not in background)
    * After 20-30 seconds of being frozen, it powers down
    * Sometimes it stays powered off, other times it reboots.
    * Upon startup I get no error/crash messages, applications are re-opened
    * The machine acts like it's a cold boot.... not coming back from sleep. Unsaved work is lost.
    * Can't find any log messages, but I'm not super adept at knowing all of the places to look for those in OSX.
    * Happens when only Safari is running or when it's running concurrently with other apps (VMWare, RDP, etc).

Worth noting, the logic board was replaced in December due to the VST problem. This didn't occur previously. When I left it with the service place, I wiped and did a fresh install. After getting it back, I restored from Time Machine.

I can't readily reproduce the lockup. Happens on a variety of sites. Drudge, CNN, Macrumors, MSDN, etc. I usually notice it when it stops scrolling. Not sure if scrolling causes the problem or is simply the first symptom I recognize.

Any thoughts on how I can triage this problem?

2. wct097 thread starter macrumors 6502

Update: Local Apple shop ran the full test and VST specific test and found nothing wrong.

Today, for the first time, the system managed to recover from one of these lockups and gave me an actual error.

I'm thinking this is related to the graphics hardware since it does, in fact, specify a graphics hardware error:

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I've been running into the same or very similar issue on my MBP since installing Yosemite.

No logs, locked up, eventually power cycles.

The no logs thing is the worst part, as there's no troubleshooting possible.

4. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I can't say to your specific Mac and previous issues, however, since 10.10.3 my 2010 MBP has locked up or crashed various times, for the firs time in years...I can't remember last time this happened. I have downloaded Mac Fans Control to see if it's the CPU getting too hot. 10.10.3 is definitely the culprit, IMO.

5. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

It's hard to pin down much of anything, sadly.

I've only had freezes and subsequent reboots on Yosemite.

Has a hardware issue cropped up in that time? Sure, that's possible...

Here's the Yosemite thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1762164

6. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I was playing Flash video today (Safari) and doing other things and my Mac shut itself off today. I started it back up and it got things going again and I watched the temp., it was hovering around 88ºC with the fan at max. speed, and I think it shuts down over 90º? So, 10.10.3 is doing something with graphics that is causing the processor to be getting too hot? (NOTE: this is also with the new Safari update.) Previously, I think the OS would do something to prevent overheating, but, ????? This has only been happening w/10.10.3, not any previous OS X, on this Mac, ever.