[Mid-2012 MBP / Mojave OS] "An error occurred while setting file attributes"

musmin2415

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
Crap! I'm so sorry for cross-posting, but I think I posted to the wrong forum initially! I apologize! But here's my issue:
So, my mid-2012 MBP started freezing during boot-up. Less than 6 mos ago I had upgraded to an SSD, but I had read recently that it's always a good idea to replace the SSD cable. I replaced the SSD cable, and it still wouldn't boot. It would just cycle over and over again. I tried most of the generic trouble-shooting methods, but nothing worked. When I tried to use the disk utility, it said it couldn't be repaired due to something with the file system. I tried booting it as a target disk, but the host mac wouldn't recognize it. I took it to our local repair shop (we don't have an apple store here) where they work on both PC's and Mac's. Long story short, the guys there did me a favor to see if the SSD was still good at all, or if we could recover any of the data. They said that the SSD still looks good, but it's not seeing any of the data. So, since most of our important stuff is stored on a cloud, I decided it was best just to erase the SSD and reinstall the OS. Well, I erased and started the process of reinstalling macOS Mojave (via the disk utility), but once it restarted, before the installation was complete, this error came up: "an error occurred while setting file attributes". I have no idea what that means. Before I go out and buy a new SSD, is this an error with the current SSD? Or a problem with the motherboard/hardware? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

sarpler

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2019
> They said that the SSD still looks good, but it's not seeing any of the data

....... the heck does that mean? They tried to connect the drive to another machine and it showed up blank/unreadable? How could that possibly be good? Either you didn't understand what they said or they don't know what they're doing.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Before going further, try this:
Boot into internet recovery mode.
Command-OPTION-R at boot.
You will need your wifi password.

Be patient as the system loads "from the net".
Are you able to get to the Mac utilities?

musmin2415

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2019
@sarpler: Nah, I didn't misunderstand. I asked again to clarify and he said that I should just be able to erase and re-install the OS. I was like, "Well, I guess you know what you're talking about..."

@Fishrrman : Yeah, I tried that as well. Over the weekend I just went ahead and bought another SSD. After a little bit of hassle and a lot of waiting (due to having to upgrade from mountain lion), it all got taken care of. We lost everything, but since the old SSD was only 5 or 6 months old, there wasn't a lot on it (thankfully). I went ahead and downloaded the Google Drive app that would automatically back up all her photos, desktop, and documents. The bright side is that I was able to get everything taken care of without having to pay to have it done.

Thanks for your input!!