Mid 2012 MBP Retina, Upgrade RAM ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soamz, Aug 2, 2013.

1. soamz macrumors 6502a

The Mid 2012 Retina MBP comes with 8GB.
    I bought 2 sets of 16 GB RAM from Crucial last week. So, I want to upgrade to 32GB RAM.

So, is it possible to upgrade the ram on Mid 2012 Retina MBP ?

2. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Im sorry to say, But you wasted your money! The ram in the retina is not upgradeable it will be 8gb its entire life. Try and return the ram back if the store accepts refunds. Or sell it to some guy who would make use of it. I highly doubt 32 gb would be supported in any macbook. But could be supported in some new windows laptops.

3. smotania macrumors member

smotania

I'm pretty sure that the ivy bridge cMBPs will support 32gb of ram!

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I find this really hard to believe. If I go to crucial.com and select the 15'' retina MBP in their Memory advisor tool, I get the following result:

"We're sorry.
    Crucial currently does not have any compatible upgrades available for your particular system. If you have questions or would like further support, please contact our support department."

How could you still go ahead and buy RAM?

5. mannyo1221 macrumors member

The memory in the rMBP is soldered to the main board, it cannot be removed or upgraded. The only component that can be upgraded in the rMBP is the SSD storage.

For this reason, make sure that when buying a Retina MBP that you buy one that has the RAM you may need in the future, since the rMBP you buy will have the same amount of RAM from day one till the day it dies.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmmm.. Nope.. Not going to fit..

YES.. as mentioned by others above, you have effectively purchased a 'very nice Chevy Engine for your BMW'.. without some Very Impressive Soldering Skills (and tools) there is No Hope.. :cool:

7. surroundfan macrumors 6502

Well, there is actually. All it requires is a whole new logic board with 16GB soldered on to it! :p

(Sticking the SODIMMs in though, errr... no chance. And no MBP has four RAM slots to accept 32GB, so 16GB is the maximum...)

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Only problem is that there are no 16gig sticks in the proper form factor to fit into a laptop.

This sounds more like a troll attempt. I hope so, otherwise the OP is going to be pissed, but at a minimum, they'll learn a cruel lesson in life - REALLY investigate and research items before you buy them.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you'd bothered to read the text on Apple's website when you bought it, you'd have known that RAM is soldered straight onto the logic board on retina MBP's making it both non upgradable and non replaceable.

You just wasted your time and money.

It's often better practice to ask questions BEFORE you buy something, not after. Just sayin'

10. dazlicous, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

One reason I would always max the ram out on a retina wether you need it ATM or not.
    Best to be has much future proof as possible whats to say what ram requirements are needed a few years down the line

11. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Like everyone has said, sorry. There is a warning on Apple's website though when you check out.

12. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, thats so stupid of Apple.

Paying fortune for a Retina Macbook Pro and that is close to useless to someone.

Anyways, I will let wife use it and I will keep using my 2009 Macbook Pro with SSD.

13. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Since no one asked yet, what are apps are you using that needs you to have 32gb?
    You should have just gone with the 16gb.
    When i was buying mine there was a customer who was looking at the 15" 8gb, the retail person advised the customer that if he thinks he may need more ram in future then go with 16gb.

14. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

What would you use 32GB of RAM for :0

Also, I hope you did research the rMBP upgradability before you bought the RAM :[

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Doesn't the 2009 MBP max out at 8GB?

16. scbond macrumors 6502

Many people have reported that even 16GB on the 2012 cMBP isn't entirely stable.

17. smotania macrumors member

smotania

I have 16gb on my cMBP since day one and never ever had a problem. The memory evenp passed the long apple memory test ;).

18. scbond macrumors 6502

I'm sure most people would argue that it's stupid of the buyer not to research such an expensive item before buying it. It isn't Apple's fault because you wrongly assumed you could upgrade it at all, let-alone to an amount or RAM that probably isn't justified/needed.

Also, when buying the RAM from Crucial surely you used the tools on their site to see compatible upgrades?! They put them there because, Macs especially, are quite particular when it comes to third party parts.

19. chrfr macrumors 603

Not an issue with my work MBP whatsoever. 16GB is fully supported and fully functional.

20. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

How much? It must be very expensive...

21. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Sure, when you get some bum RAM, that would be true. Otherwise, it's pretty darn stable as far as I'm concerned.

22. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Doesn't really matter. No matter how much you put in it's going to be way slower than a 2013 rMBP.

But that hardly matters to a user who buys RAM on a whim without checking if it can be used and then asks once it's too late. Not the kind of user who has any conceivable use for a laptop with 32GB RAM