Mid 2012 MBP Running Hot after 10.10.3 Update

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by soccerrocks314, Apr 21, 2015.

1. soccerrocks314 macrumors newbie

soccerrocks314

So I update my MBP two days ago. With in those two days I have noticed that when waking up from sleep mode or opening the lid that with in 5 minutes the underside is really warm while doing simple task like browsing safari or checking email. The only programs running are mail and safari.

More Specifically:
    Temperature Gauge (App) Reads GPU 1 Diode around 98 degrees celsius ​
    Activity Monitor shows that a process called "discoveryd" is using close to a 100% of the CPU​

A restart of the computer shows "discoveryd" using 0.2% of CPU and the temperature of the GPU 1 Diode immediately starts to cool down to a pretty consistent 52 degrees celsius.

All of the problems above can be replicated and solved by a restart but reoccur when the lid is closed.

Anyone else suffering anything similar or know of a solution to the problem?

Thanks for your help in advance!

MBP Specs:
    Mid 2012
    2.9GHZ i7
    8GB Ram
    512 GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro

2. soccerrocks314 thread starter macrumors newbie

soccerrocks314

Solution!!!

Well at least this worked for me and hopefully the same for you! I found this solution from this apple support community page https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6662210?start=60&tstart=0 . Best of Luck!

The fix that works in many (all?) cases for the 'discoveryd 100% CPU on Yosemite' issue is

Use 'Finder > Go' to go to this folder:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Delete the file 'preferences.plist' and restart your Mac. Google for the above path if you want further details.