Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soccerrocks314

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Auburn, AL
So I update my MBP two days ago. With in those two days I have noticed that when waking up from sleep mode or opening the lid that with in 5 minutes the underside is really warm while doing simple task like browsing safari or checking email. The only programs running are mail and safari.

More Specifically:
Temperature Gauge (App) Reads GPU 1 Diode around 98 degrees celsius​
Activity Monitor shows that a process called "discoveryd" is using close to a 100% of the CPU​

A restart of the computer shows "discoveryd" using 0.2% of CPU and the temperature of the GPU 1 Diode immediately starts to cool down to a pretty consistent 52 degrees celsius.

All of the problems above can be replicated and solved by a restart but reoccur when the lid is closed.

Anyone else suffering anything similar or know of a solution to the problem?

Thanks for your help in advance!

MBP Specs:
Mid 2012
2.9GHZ i7
8GB Ram
512 GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro

soccerrocks314

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2012
Auburn, AL
Solution!!!

Well at least this worked for me and hopefully the same for you! I found this solution from this apple support community page https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6662210?start=60&tstart=0 . Best of Luck!

The fix that works in many (all?) cases for the 'discoveryd 100% CPU on Yosemite' issue is

Use 'Finder > Go' to go to this folder:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Delete the file 'preferences.plist' and restart your Mac. Google for the above path if you want further details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.