Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I'm looking at the Dell UltraSharp monitors that run at 2560x1440. I realize my retina can't output to a 4K monitor, but I was wondering if it could handle 3 @ 2560x1440 with my laptop in clamshell mode. The two thunderbolts shouldn't have an issue, but I'm not sure about the HDMI port.

If it makes any difference, I also have a Early 2013 MBPr with the same graphics card. Not sure if this one can handle something my Mid 2012 can't.

Any help is appreciated.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'm looking at the Dell UltraSharp monitors that run at 2560x1440. I realize my retina can't output to a 4K monitor, but I was wondering if it could handle 3 @ 2560x1440 with my laptop in clamshell mode. The two thunderbolts shouldn't have an issue, but I'm not sure about the HDMI port.

If it makes any difference, I also have a Early 2013 MBPr with the same graphics card. Not sure if this one can handle something my Mid 2012 can't.

Any help is appreciated.

Well a quick look at apples spec sheets would have shown you immediately what the score is for both versions.

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors
Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
  • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

• Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • HDMI video output
    • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
    • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz

So to make it simple officially no you can't support 3 external screens, in practice you can with splitters and USB connectors but the performance may be somewhat poor.

Edit just noticed your other machine is the early 2013 it's no different t your 2012

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
I did read the Apple specs sheet. Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display. I'm not using the built in display though, so does that mean I can push it to another monitor? I've seen a bunch of videos showing people running 3 external monitors off the first gen retina.

Well a quick look at apples spec sheets would have shown you immediately what the score is for both versions.

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors
Thunderbolt digital video output

• Intel Iris Pro Graphics
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors
  • Thunderbolt digital video output
  • HDMI video output
    • Support for 1080p resolution at up to 60Hz
    • Support for 3840-by-2160 resolution at 30Hz
    • Support for 4096-by-2160 resolution at 24Hz
So to make it simple officially no you can't support 3 external screens, in practice you can with splitters and USB connectors but the performance may be somewhat poor.

Edit just noticed your other machine is the early 2013 it's no different t your 2012

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I did read the Apple specs sheet. Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display. I'm not using the built in display though, so does that mean I can push it to another monitor? I've seen a bunch of videos showing people running 3 external monitors off the first gen retina.

In which case you know it can be done and have a fair idea of how to do it, so what are you asking if you already know the answer???

Perhaps you should phrased the questions I know the 2012rMBPcan run three screens, what are the setup and performance issues of doing so??

Last edited:

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
In which case you know it can be done and have a fair idea of how to do it, so what are you asking if you already know the answer???
I was looking for help to see if anyone else has done it. I was mainly questioning if I didn't want to use the built in display, since all the support docs say 2 displays + the built in display. What if I don't want to use the built in retina display and want to use another external one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.