Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I have a Retina MacBook Pro that I bought new in October of 2012. Since the day I got it, it's taken 12-15 seconds to boot up every single time, consistently every time. Over the past three days, it's been taking double that time, between 30-45 seconds for the computer to load past the boot screen and into the login screen.

I've tried performing First Aid on the SSD through Disk Utility but that didn't seem to help any. I find it very odd that it started taking double the time to load out of the blue, especially when it's never done this before.

Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Besides its age?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply! Just tried both of those and the problem persisted. I figured out the issue though - I have a micro SD card shell plugged into my Mac and it's empty at the moment. Pulled it out, restarted, and it booted right up. Must have been trying to read the SD card as a boot option and hanging when it realized there wasn't actually a card inserted (the micro SD card was not inserted in the shell).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.