Mid 2012 rMBP Battery Life Dwindling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexmarchuk, Nov 12, 2014.

1. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I do use the machine a lot, so understandably the battery has been used quite a bit. coconutBattery claims the battery is "good", I guess for it's age and usage it could be considered normal. Wanted to get a sense of how similar or different my machine is compared to the forum.

coconutBattery read out:

MacBook Pro
    Retina, Mid 2012

Model: MacBookPro10,1
    Manufacture date: 2012-07-02
    ---
    Battery Details:
    Manufacturer: SMP
    Model: bq20z451
    Manufacture date: 2012-06-23
    Loadcycles: 381
    Serial: xxx
    OS X Battery status: Good
    Battery temperature: 39.5C
    Battery failure: None
    Battery usage: 30.5 watts
    ---

Current Charge: 1506mAh
    Maximum Charge: 7560mAh (19.1%)
    Design Capacity: 8460mAh (89.1%)

---

Does the 89.1% equate to how much of my original capacity I have today? Furthermore, is this a good percentage?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, that's what it means. Your battery is fine. It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. The gradual decline is not in a straight line downward, and it may decline more rapidly at some times and slower at others. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. I really do use the crap out of the machine, it takes a good beating. I was wondering whether having Apple replace the battery (Is it $199 or so?) would give me better battery life.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the FAQ for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

5. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Great guide, very useful. Again though, would it be worthwhile scrapping this battery and having Apple replace it with a new one?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't do that until the battery health is much lower.

7. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I don't want it to last 1000 cycles, :p. At around 500 cycles I think I will entertain that possibility as the battery life isn't up to par as it used to be, considering the already limited battery life.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Apple advise replacement when the battery health is lower than 80%.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Suit yourself. Apple won't consider replacing it free unless it's below 80% before 1000 cycles.

10. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Yeah, I read this earlier today in many places. Now that I'm plugged in I'm seeing slightly different numbers. I assume this is because of the fluctuations during charge?

---

Maximum charge: 7894 mAh (17.1%)
    Design capacity: 8460 mAh (93.3%)

Nothing on this machine is free anymore, lol.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As stated in my first post: It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time.

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

If your machine is less than 6 years old, the sale of goods act applies (except for things like the charger or the battery)

13. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

I was just generalizing, but after getting the image retention issue settled with a new display, I have had exactly zero hardware issues, couple that with no warranty nor Apple Care anymore, I'm just waiting for something to go wrong.