Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
No.
The retina models all use similar to mSATA interface, which is a narrow card. something like this:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-2012-Drive-Internal-Flash
Does that mean if I can get an mSATA-interface SSD, I can use it?

Sorry for my questions, just trying to find the cheapest deals around right now.
I've been looking at the OWC SSDs and they're fairly expensive compared to the competition which is why I'm looking around.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, if you get one, be sure to get one that claims to be compatible.
The Transcend, and the OWC brands will be good.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Does that mean if I can get an mSATA-interface SSD, I can use it?

Sorry for my questions, just trying to find the cheapest deals around right now.
I've been looking at the OWC SSDs and they're fairly expensive compared to the competition which is why I'm looking around.
The Apple SSD interface in the 2012 laptops is neither physically nor electronically compatible with standard mSATA devices. This is why the (limited) options are expensive.

WardH

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2015
South Jersey
Both Transcend and OCW have very good websites to help you identify your specific rMBP and what drive will work in it. IE: Early 2012 rMBP and late 2012/early 2013 15"rMBP take different drives. You need to be specific as to your production year, screen size and model of your rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.