Mid-2012 rMBP doesn't detect 5GHz wireless on higher channels ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaguar9, Nov 25, 2014.

1. jaguar9 macrumors newbie

When trying to use 5GHz connection on the Asus RT-AC87U, the macbook doesn't detect the wireless signal unless it's on channels between 36-48. As soon as I select higher/faster channels such as 149-161, I cannot see the 5GHz connection as an option.
    When I set it to Auto, the router selects one of those higher channels which means I can't normally connect to either, and manually setting it to any channel between 36-48 renders the connection really slow.

The strange thing is that my friend's macbook pro (mid 2013) detects the connection with no problem.

Anyone knows why this is happening ? I had a TP-Link router before and connecting to a 5GHz connection wasn't a problem.

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

There's no mid 2013 model. There's early and late! The early version has the same wifi card as the 2012 model, meaning 802.11 a/b/g/n!

While the late 2013 model does also have 802.11ac. Meaning it supports faster speeds than the n version, hence why your friend can see it but you can't.

3. jaguar9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm that would make sense, however I tried enabling "Only N-Mode" for the 5GHz signal and it still couldn't detect it :\

4. viettanium macrumors regular

Maybe the 5GHz frequency module on your AirPort card is not working, need to replace your AirPort wireless card.

5. jaguar9 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was working just before changing routers though.

6. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

I don't think the wifi card has an issue. There's a reason apple added 802.11 ac! what's the point if it will have the same speed as the 802.11n?

To prove it, find if any of your other friends has an older model. Even the 2010 MBP can connect to a 5GHz router. If models previous than late 2013 still don't see those speeds, then it must be the ac feature!

7. jaguar9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'll try that ..