Mid-2012 rMBP - Flash Storage Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cherishzm, Aug 28, 2014.

1. cherishzm macrumors regular

I own a mid-2012 15" rMBP with 256GB flash storage and it's little too tight for my needs and want to upgrade it with a 512GB one. I mistakenly assumed the flash storage unit from mid-2012 Macbook Air would fit since it was made in the same year and bought a used one with 512GB for the swap only to find out it won't. The one in the MBA is longer and narrower.

Can someone tell me what year MBA's use the same flash storage as mid-2012 rMBP's?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

None of them are the same. MBA and Retina are different. You can buy an aftermarket solution from Transcend here.

3. cherishzm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply. I was planning to do this to save money but I should've checked compatibility first.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

One would think all the Apple products would use the same connector. Apple has made this all very confusing.

5. cherishzm thread starter macrumors regular

Is the connector different? Not that it matters but when I looked at both flash modules the end connection appeared the same but the module sizes were different.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't really know. I meant the same in general.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The mid-2012 rMBP shares the same mSATA SSD with only these models:

Late-2012 and early-2013 rMBPs.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if it's any consolation, all the Mid/Late 2013 models have the same connectors and dimensions: MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro.

9. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I am swerving a little off topic here to say that I bought one of the Transcends as an upgrade for a 2010 MBA and it is a fine product. Very easy to install and good support.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Thanks for the info. I had seen posts about people swapping the rMBP and nMP around, but did not know the new Airs were the same also.