mid-2012 rMBP strange sound and battery won't charge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silentownage001, Mar 25, 2017.

1. silentownage001 macrumors regular

For the last few months my rMBP will sometimes make a strange sound. I finally got two videos of it. It's tough to hear so you might need to turn up your volume. It has a constant pitch. To me it sounds louder from the left side of the computer than the right. I can't recreate it at will it just happens.

Also, starting last night the battery won't always charge. It's plugged in with no light on and the battery menu says it isn't charging, but the charger is powering the computer. Strangely, if I unplug it from the computer and plug it back in the light comes on and it charges. I don't think the battery having 1,384 cycles is doing much good ;) Currently, I'm finding that unplugging and plugging it back in with the computer awake or the lid closed and asleep, it's charging fine. It's only happened twice where it doesn't charge. Once last night and once this morning.

Overall the sound is more concerning to me.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Could be fan noise, in which case the fan may need to be cleaned.

You may want to check your MagSafe port and connector to see if they're clean.

3. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

The MagSafe connector looks clean. The port is a little dirty, but not where the power transfer occurs. Only on the aluminum bit that isn't raised. There was definitely power transfer since it was listed as the power source. It hasn't happened since so it's probably fine.

Could be the fan. I think the area it sounds loudest is right about where the fan is located. It doesn't sound like it's coming right out of the speaker, but maybe the speaker is wearing out?

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If there's too little power transferred you can get odd results. Carefully cleaning the port might help if the problem returns. (The green light isn't a reliable guide to whether the connection is good.)

Try plugging in some headphones and see (1) if the sound is still audible by the speaker and (2) if you can hear it over the headphones.

5. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

Next time the sound occurs I'll give that a shot.

6. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried plugging my headphones in and the sound persisted. The sound also didn't come through the headphones.

7. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Then it's very likely not your speakers making the sound. If it's the fans you should be able to hear it louder if you listen from behind near the vents that are below the screen hinge. If you're up for it, you can take the back off and open up the fans to clean them. There are videos online, I understand it's pretty easy to do.

8. silentownage001 thread starter macrumors regular

I've found some videos. Looks pretty simple. Just need the right screwdriver. Next time the sound occurs I'll try listening from the back as well to see if it makes a difference.