Mid-2013 Macbook Pro Retina 13-inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raptorstv, Nov 1, 2012.

1. raptorstv macrumors 6502

Will it be cheaper? Will it have a dedicated graphic card? Should I wait?

PS I hate 15" laptops

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. raptorstv thread starter macrumors 6502

With a very high res... The 13" screen wont feel small at all

4. coolstuff92 macrumors newbie

As i'm sure you know, the high resolution doesn't mean you get a large working space here due to scaling. If you do choose to increase the working area by choosing another scaled option or otherwise, I'm not sure that the GUI will be particularly smooth.

5. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

13" will never have a dedicated graphics, sadly.

6. Maczor macrumors regular

... but we might eventually have external GPUs that we can connect. Anyway, integrated cards will just get better and better... is the next model worth the wait? Some say it is... I personally don't think it will change things "THAT MUCH", not in the way I use it at least. I can do game development on it ( web / mobile / tablets ) without the slightest problem...

7. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I didn't wait. The 15" was overkill for me. The 13" is new. The update, when it happens, will be specs. I think I am good with 8gb RAM and 2.5ghz for the next few years.

8. calvol macrumors 6502a

Haswell = 2x GPU performance. Wait or you'll be sorree!

9. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

sigh

10. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

I saw one in store the other day. The footprint isn't much bigger than my 11" air. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. In terms of design that's the laptop I've been waiting for. Will I wait? Yes. Two reasons:

- My 2011 Air is still plenty good and if it wasn't for my lust for the new it could serve me far longer than 2013

- Despite the amazing design the current 13" rMBP is underspeced. It's something similar to what happened to the 11" air when it was introduced in 2010, nice design with a pokey C2D. Next year Haswell will make the guts a decent match for the exterior. It will be a more balanced laptop.

11. 4kusnik macrumors newbie

As about discrete card then it's more then it is obvious that it will be without it.

However, what about amount of RAM? Will we have 16GB options with retina 13" 2013? What would you say?

At the moment 13" retina CPU and GPU are good enough for my tasks but 8GB unfortunately insufficient and this fact only stops me from purchasing my first Macbook. 15" is not suitable for me as dimensions&weight are an issue.

12. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

2x on paper and synthetic benchmarks. Realistically, more like 1.25x-1.5x?

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You think it'll actually get cheaper? I have a feeling that the price will stay the same but some of the specs like storage will get a bump.

14. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

2x estimated on the high-end GT3 equipped CPU. Typically, the ultra expensive high-end 15" model is equipped with the best processor. The mainstream CPU's will have GT2 GPU.

15. Tanax macrumors 6502a

First generation of a new product-line, which the rMBP essentially is, is always more expensive. Especially now when Apple is the first company that does the retina displays in these portable formats. In 2013, more PC companies will bring out retina displays for 13" and 15" laptops - Apple will most likely be forced to lower the price then.

If you look at the MBA, it was more expensive in the beginning but slowly began to drop in price as more and more PC companies brought out ultrabooks.

16. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

^^^ Exactly;)

@OP: Don't put too much faith into radical 'real-life' improvement in integrated GPU performance.

So, will the rMBPs be cheaper in 2013? Don't know, it really depends if retina display manufacturers can produce enough of them to drive prices down. My personal opinion: It'll be probably $100 (or stay the same) rather than something more radical, like $400 (on 13" version) . You still get the usual small bump ups in specs: faster chipset, more RAM, bigger SSDs, etc.

But that's just my speculation;)