Mid-2013 MBA not Recognizing Camera for tether capture

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Zaphyrus, May 17, 2014.

1. Zaphyrus macrumors member

Recently picked up a new camera and want to shoot tethered via the supplied usb cable. For some reason, my MBA will recognize the device connected when looking into the system information, but won't actually recognize the camera. So basically, I can't pull images off unless it's through a card reader and tethered capture is beyond question. Any insight on how to fix this?

*Note: I've got another thread trying to trouble shoot power issues with my medium format digital back not drawing enough power via the FW800 to Thunderbolt cable.

Could this be part of that power issue/MBA not outputting enough power to these devices via the BUS?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Is the camera the only USB device you have connected? If not, try unplugging everything else. You could also try plugging it into a powered USB hub if you have one. That should tell you whether it's a power issue.

4. Zaphyrus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the responses. It's a Nikon D4 and the camera that's got FW800 to Thunderbolt power issues is a Leaf Aptus II. Strange thing is my old macbook will recognize the D4 just fine (2010 MBP), as well as my mac at work (2006 Pro I believe). I've found a few people saying they've experience this on MBAs but doesn't seem like there was ever any resolve. Guess I should state my MBA is on Mavericks, and the other two computers are on Mountain Lion should that make any difference. Regardless, the versions of Lightroom and CP1 on all of them have tethered support.

I'll definitely try a powered HUB and report back.

Thanks again!