Mid-2013 MBA SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RightMACatU, Jun 10, 2013.

1. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

The Keynote mentioned a 45% faster SSD but was not clear... Is this 45% faster than the mid-2012? Aren't we already at like 6Gbps?
    I cannot find any specs on this on the Apple site.

2. Ahmahzahn macrumors member

6GB/s is the bandwith of SATA III I believe, and the current SSDs can't saturate that... meaning there is still quite a bit of headroom for speed improvement until we reach the bottleneck of the transfer cable.

3. ayres macrumors regular

quotation below is from this:

http://anandtech.com/show/7058/2013-macbook-air-pcie-ssd-and-haswell-ult-inside

"On the storage front, Apple officially leads the charge with the move to PCIe based SSDs. The upcoming Mac Pro, as well as the new MacBook Airs both use PCIe based SSDs instead of SATA drives. A quick look at OS X's system profiler reveals a PCIe 2.0 x2 interface, capable of 1GB/s in each direction.

The drive in my system uses a Samsung controller, although I've heard that SanDisk will have a PCIe solution for Apple as well. A quick run through Quick Bench reveals peak sequential read/write performance of nearly 800MB/s:...

This is a pretty big deal, as it is probably the first step towards PCIe storage in a mainstream consumer device that we've seen. I'm still awaiting official confirmation as to whether or not this is an M.2 based solution or a proprietary connector. Since there's no PCIe routed off of the CPU in Haswell ULT, these 2 lanes come from the on-package PCH."

4. ladeer macrumors 6502

WTF this is ridiculously good. I am not gonna wait for employee discount I am just gonna buy it now.

5. ayres macrumors regular

i know... faster ssd, better battery, better gpu, better wifi... and $100 was shaved off the price.

what's not to like? (i think had they gone for more drastic changes, the price would not have dropped).

6. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Tempting...but ill hold off till this fall when new osx is included.

7. sofakng macrumors regular

Woah... Anandtech benchmarked this at 800 MB/s read AND write?!

That's pretty darn fast.