Mid 2014 13" Retina MBP, fan struggle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GWA123, Aug 10, 2014.

1. GWA123 macrumors newbie

So, I promised myself I wouldn't go out looking for issues and to just use this machine normally without worry. Well, I noticed something today that caught my ear.

I have attached a video.

Notice how when the fan is set to high (6200 RPM), it takes a second to get up to speed and you can hear it spin up. This 13" retina fan sounds much different than my previous 13" retina. Once at speed, it sounds just fine. It's just the sudden push to get it up to speed that sounds a bit odd.

http://youtu.be/hEJ-llhPPMw

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I've never even had my fan cut on. It sounds normal to me but I could be wrong.

3. thewusman macrumors regular

a) what are you doing to ramp the fan up to 6,200rpm so quickly ?

Usually the thermal profile map will cause the fan to increase in stepped increments, starting at around 2,000 then up.

Having said that, the first noise I hear (the "waarble" like sound) before it reaches full speed does indeed remind me of a case fan or cpu fan where the bearing is unseated / about to go.

Not sure if the rMBP have bearings in their fan design or what would cause the noise you mention, but yes, I do hear it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I didn't notice any issues with the fan noise. I don't think it's problem but if you're worried take it into Apple have them look at it.

5. thefrm macrumors newbie

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Like maflynn wrote: that's the normal noise of the fan starting up.
    Whats the problem?

7. GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using iStat 5.

And yes, I'm referring to the initial warrble sound. I can't recall my previous retina doing this.

8. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Then what are you doing on your machine?

9. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

I only have experience with my 15", but that does not sound normal. My fans make no noise other than the actual sound of the fan moving air. No whining, grinding, anything.

10. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

A video as a demonstration.

My office isn't particularly quiet, so the audio isn't as loud as it could be. But the purpose is served.

http://youtu.be/pQDD3veh7pY

11. Tourgott macrumors member

12. GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I'm talking about the grinding noise as the fan is speeding up from 1300 to 6200 RPM

13. Tourgott macrumors member

Okay, but the noise in the beginning and the end also does not sound normal to me.

14. GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

15. Tourgott macrumors member

I have got the Mid 2014 13" rMBP. If you want I can test it for you tomorrow. Just tell my how and what exactly. :)

16. GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

All you need to do is install iStat Menus and record the fan spinning from 1300 to 6200 RPM (default to max)

I have an appointment in a few hours with a Genius.

17. ha1o2surfer macrumors 6502

It sounds like your fans may be starting from an off position where as the other video that someone posted is from his fans already spinning. It may be already and if it's in, the voltage is being raised too quickly and it's slipping. (think 3 phase motors being fed a higher hz than it's rated for) It just sounds like the voltage is too low and the fan starts to wobble back and forth before starting. It's quite common when trying to undervolt fans to make them quieter (in large desktop builds) and some fans are just loud while be undervolted. It's not cause for concern though :)

my Guess...

18. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Be honest, you couldn't resist hitting that max RPM on iStat to listen out for anything dodgy ;)

On a serious note, that light grinding noise doesn't sound too normal. But I can only speak from a 15" MBP perspective. Worth having checked out. Just my two-cents.

19. GWA123, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright you caught me, but honestly, isn't it wiser to run a machine through its paces before lapsing the 14 day return window?

I just hope they replace it on the spot and not attempt to fix it, I am a high school teacher with mounds of lesson plans that need to get submitted in less than 2 weeks. If they don't, I might just return it and buy a new one on the spot. Do they allow that?

Edit: They took the bottom off, and he said he could physically feel that the fan and concluded that it didn't feel right. They are going to replace it on the spot.

20. GWA123, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, new machine. Fan sounds great! Spins up much quicker!

So far so good :)

Craziness, this MBP is only 29 days old! Insane. I checked it through CoconutBattery.

Edit: 8 Gt? What's a Gt? lol

Attached Files:

21. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Mine does not make that grinding sound when I ramp up the fan to the highest setting with iStat menus 5. Mine also ramps up a lot quicker so you might have a dodgy fan.

22. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Wow, they just gave you a brand new machine just like that? I'm impressed

Maybe go in for another replacement? lol

23. GWA123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Rebooted and it returned to 8 GB

And yep, once the genius also aknowledged, he offered to send it in for repairs (he said shipping it off was faster then ordering the part, go figure). I then said, so what would happen if I returned this one, and bought a new one on the spot. He said, sure! That works too!