Mid 2014 15-inch rMBP (screen brightness)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TripleMoxy, Aug 5, 2014.

1. TripleMoxy macrumors regular

I have the 2.5GHz version and it seems like the screen is quite dim compared to my Late 2013 13-inch rMBP, so I have two questions:

1. Is the LG screen usually dimmer than the Samsung screen?
    2. Is the LG screen still problematic (that is, have they solved the issue with ghosting etc.)?

Sorry if this has been covered. I've searched this forum and on Google, but I couldn't find anything that covered my question exactly.

2. someoneoutthere, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

someoneoutthere macrumors regular

3. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

At first boot the screen was very yellow for my liking, but fortunately after I loaded my time machine backup onto it that is no longer the case.

I find the screen to be a tad dim, but not drastically different to my Late 2013 15.

I have the Mid 2014 15" with LG.

I do not feel confident in calibrating the screen. There are far too many options for someone as indecisive as me. I'm happy the way it is.

4. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Just calibrated mine using an external calibrater (two blocks down from full brightness) and other than been a tiny bit to saturated. The default calibration wasn't far of at all :)

5. TripleMoxy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the replies.

Does anyone know whether LG have managed to solve or improve on the quality issues I've read about?

I have 14 days to return my machine, and I'd probably return it if it was likely that my LG screen was going to start ghosting etc.

6. blooperz macrumors 6502

it's already been mentioned in pretty much every "X-screen vs Y-screen" post on this forum that LG ghosting is no longer an issue, so I'm sure thats no longer a problem...lg's run cooler, samsungs run warmer, generally speaking, from what most people report.

7. Martin82 macrumors newbie

I ordered top MBPr 15" about a month ago. 1st delivered one had a yellow tint on the left. About a week ago I received 2nd MBPr where the white is pink as well as apple logo on the bazel. I went to the store to compare it with 2 different macs (15" and 13")...and there was a shock. Both were much much dimmer then "mine" (all set at full brightness) . I went to my friend to compere it with his iMac (where whites are white for my picky eyes) and after this comparison I am sure my white is pink. My current screen is A022 (very bright, pink whites, pink apple logo). So despite tint, white balance issues there are MPBrs which are much brighter then others. No idea what screens were in a store but mine was much much brighter. I am not going to keep it. That's not acceptable for me considering the price.

8. Heartex macrumors newbie

Just got a 2014 macbook 15 in retina 16gb 1T. And ...LG screen. I came from mid 2012 retina samsung screen. I have read all the problem and thought ugh. But to my surprise comparing it to my 2012 I actually prefer the 2014 LG screen. I did calibrate it some. The colors are richer and more contrast. Anyway relieved that LG have improved. The 2012 cooler white seems more washed out that the warmer LG. You have to overcome all the talk on the forum about how bad LG screens are. Anyway my 2 cents.