Mid 2014 15in Macbook Pro - $650 Battery replacment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oldertwin, Oct 7, 2018.

1. oldertwin macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I have a Mid 2014 15in Macbook Pro (2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 512GB, 16GB, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M) and my battery is starting to the bite the dust.

I have been getting the service battery message. Which is not surprising, since coconutBattery shows my battery at 77.3% capacity with 993 load cycles.

I contacted Apple Care (I have no Apple stores in my area. They are 5+ hours away) and they are wanting $650 to replace the battery. Even though Apple's website shows $199. https://support.apple.com/mac/repair/service

Apparently since the way the 2014s were designed, they have to replace the whole top case. Which is why the price is so high... And that is what is tearing me apart. This Macbook Pro does everything I want it to do still and I spent around $3,000 buying it 4 years ago.

At this moment in my life I would rather not spend around $4,000 on a new maxed out equivalent Macbook Pro. But is it worth dumping $650 in a 4 year old Macbook Pro that could crap out in a month?

I have also noticed lately when using the integrated graphics that when I am playing videos it will freeze for a second on a frame and then when I move the mouse the video catches up. If I turn off graphics switching, the freezing does not happen. It almost seems like the integrated graphics is starting to have issues.

Has anyone had any experience with sending in their Mid 2014 for a battery replacement? Is there a possibility they will replace the logic board too? (Which might fix my video issue.)

Is it worth putting the money into?

2. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

That rep is wrong. Apple's website clearly states that all macbook pros with retina display are $199 for battery replacement.

Ask to speak to a supervisor or find an AASP.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2018 ---
    In regards to the video issue, you might want to try resetting SMC and PRAM. Also, update your OS to the latest version (10.14).

It doesn't really sound like a failing GPU. More like a software glitch. And have you tried using a different web browser to watch videos?

3. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

I agree, as long as the battery is actually showing service message, there should be no argument about it being covered as a $199 battery replacement rather than a top case repair, as indeed every retina 13/15" model is designed like this, there are no exceptions.

4. Webster's Mac macrumors regular

Though the topcase does get replaced during the repair. But it is still $199. The battery is glued to the topcase, hence why it gets replaced as well.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The price you were quoted is wrong.
    It should be $200.

Where (in the world) are you?

6. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

Do you have any dents on the laptop ? Does the battery is swollen ? Can you show any pictures ?

7. jerryk macrumors 601

Can you just click the "Start service request"? The price should be $199 in the US.

8. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Had my late 2013 battery replaced for $199, yours should be the same price. As a separate issue, they royally screwed up the repair and damaged the computer (multiple times during each re-repair attempt), so I'm now getting a 2018 replacement unit for free.

9. buran-energia macrumors regular

Pretty sure this only started after the redesign / new keyboard in 2016 mbps.

10. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Not true. My late 2013 required top case replacement for battery change.

11. oldertwin thread starter macrumors newbie

When I do it online there is no option for the $199 service. It just defaults to the $650.

I also have opened three difffent repairs and have talked to 5 difffent reps and they all say that is the price ($650). One even went as far to say the $650 is a hold even though the page I put my credit card in states that $650 is the charge and not the hold.

12. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

1) Have you ever been denied warranty for any reason and

2) Isn't there an Apple Store near you?

13. oldertwin thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I have never had this MacBook repaired for anything.

My nearest Apple Store is 5 hours away in the next state. I live in the middle of Kansas. And the closest store is in Oklahoma City.

14. AlexJoda, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

That's why I just got me a 2012 MBP instead of a newer one. With the 2012 MBP you just have to unscrew 3 screws to replace the $60 battery...

15. oldertwin thread starter macrumors newbie

I just opened another case and the rep is saying the same thing about the battery being $650. But they will "re-quote" once they receive it..

I just hate to send it in and I get stuck with a $650 charge for a battery in a 4 year old Macbook.

Attached Files:

16. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

You can refuse the repair if they re-quote $650, but you will be without your machine in the meantime. Man $650, that’s almost criminal for a battery replacement. :(

17. nerowolfe19 macrumors member

Replaced 2012 15" rMBP (similar to 2014) battery not too long ago for the same price, half an hour job for a first timer. Honestly, I'd pay $200-300 if they would service it on the spot. But a week to do a simple battery replacement job that I could do in less than an hour? Pass.

18. AlexJoda macrumors 6502a

AlexJoda

That gives me some hope to switch to the 2015 MBP some day which is my next target. That MBP is not so limited with ports and crappie keyboards than the ones later on...