Mid 2014 graphic switch glitch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Sep 4, 2015.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

So when it switches between Intel Iris and the nVidia 750m, there is a black screen pause. This happens for a longer amount of time now more than ever.

2. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm using the nVidia web driver....maybe

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Please explain what you mean by this...

Also, have you reset SMC and NVRAM? Are you switching GPUs with an app?

4. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

When an App that requires the dGPU there's about a 5 second black screen when it switches from iGPU to dGPU. For now I disabled "Automatic graphic switching" in the power settings.

This started happening when I started using the nVidia Web driver and installed CUDA driver. The Graphics performance is way better but the black screen may be an issue since it needs to seemlessly switch between graphic cards.

5. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Ok thank you for the answer to the questions.. still have no idea what you mean by "web" driver.. I have had very little success finding a functional graphics driver besides what updated with my OS X installation. I too have the CUDA driver.. but I do not experience this issue. Restart your mac, hold shift when you start logging in(disables login items) and see if the issue continues.. Did you reset SMC?

6. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/89538/en-us

nVidia has been on their game in terms of releasing good drivers for their cards. This is the latest. The performance is much nicer than the stock OS X drivers which Apple never updates. I am able to get more performance in CUDA based applications.

Recently nVidia opened their drivers up to more than just the cMP, and now MacBook Pros with nVidia GPUs have access to these drivers.

I will try resetting the SMC and report back. Thanks!