Mid 2014 Macbook Pro PCI SSSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guitarplyrstevo, Oct 3, 2015.

1. guitarplyrstevo macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first post here.

I've tried to browse the SSD sticky, and did a search, but I haven't been able to find much information (which was very surprising to me!).

I know we are still waiting on OWC to release some larger drives, but I feel like they should have already been out now.

Question: Why do you all feel it is taking so long for OWC to release a drive compatible with a mid 2014 Macbook Pro?

Question: Why do you all feel other hard drive companies haven't created mid 2014 Macbook Pro compatible SSD's?

With all the Macbook Pro's I see everywhere, I feel like there would be a huge market for people who didn't want to dish out an extra $400 to get twice the storage, at the time of purchase.

Thanks in advance,
    -S

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Very little demand. Proprietary form factor. Developing hardware is extremely costly, it probably isn't worth the expense.

Remember that most people buy an overly powerful computer only to browse facebook and youtube with. They don't need the storage. Heck most people don't even understand the concept of storage.

3. MacInTO, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I don't think there is a market for it and like snaky69 posted, it's expensive to develop a specific product for a small demand.

The competition is cheap. External drives are pretty cheap (2tb for less than $100). I have a 2012 rMBP with a 750GB SSD, but I don't put day-to-day storage on it and I have over 600gb of free space. I don't really use it because if anything were to happen to my rMBP, I wouldn't care because my data is on external drives.

4. guitarplyrstevo thread starter macrumors newbie

Those are interesting points, and I completely agree with both of you.

I definitely would not put all my data on the rMBP, however I was considering creating two 128gb partitions, putting Mac OS on one partition, and Windows 10 on the other.

128gb per partition seems too small for all my basic programs, but we'll see how much storage I actually use, per partition, after some time. If I end up running out of storage, I hope a 3rd party company creates a more economical solution by then, or else I'll end up buying a top dollar OEM SSD.

Thanks for the responses.
    -Steven

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

At the moment (and looking like for ever, if they were going to do it they would have done by now) your only option is a second hand one on ebay from another macbook.

To be honest your best bet is to sell the one you have and buy one with a bigger SSD it's the cheapest way at the moment.

6. guitarplyrstevo thread starter macrumors newbie

I contacted Transcend not too long ago, and received this email:

I really hope they live up to this. Spending $500 for a 512gb stick is a bit ridiculous to me.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I don't see why that's how much they cost just take a look at amazon they are $325 and up, and when you find another vendor willing to put them in their computers the upgrades are just as outrageous.