Mid-2014 MBP always turns on again after shutting down

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Erdbeertorte, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Hey,

about half a year ago I bought a partly defective Mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro for a very good price.

The description just said it had a water damage and after that the AirPort module did not work anymore, also if you shut it down it always powers on again and you have to hold the power button to turn it off while rebooting.

I thought it might be easy to fix because it seemed the seller did not really know much about Macs. He did not even mention the model ID.
    I could only see on the pictures that it is a Retina MBP and was surprised when I noticed it is a Mid-2014 as I got it in June 2015, because it has been really cheap.

I replaced the AirPort module with one from an Early 2013. That fixed the not working WiFi and Bluetooth. Just Internet Recovery does not work. But that is not really important.

Does anyone have an idea what may cause this shutdown issue? I have no other problems with it. Everything is running fine.

First things I tried was of course resetting NVRAM and SMC and a clean install of Yosemite and later again with El Capitan but nothing of that helped me.

I can't see any corrosion or damage when I open it. There is also no problem with the PCIe blade SSD. I put it in a Late 2013 MacBook Air and it's working fine there.

:rolleyes:

2. imorton macrumors 6502

I don't have an answer for you, but I have a Early 2011 13" MB Pro that was doing the same thing. I was running it with an external monitor and in clamshell mode. The only way to shut it down was do remove the display port adapter (for the external monitor) and it would than do a proper shutdown.

IAN