Mid 2014 MBP issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by malibuboats91, Nov 17, 2015.

1. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

Hey everyone! I have a 15" Mid 2014 MBP I bought in January 2015 and I've been experiencing some issues. I called Apple and they sent me a box to ship it to them but I'm not sure if it's just a software issue or if I should go through with sending it in. I'm a college student so a few days without my computer will be tough.

The first problem I've been experiencing is that the trackpad seems loose. If I tap my finger on it lightly I can feel/hear it move. I've also had issues while using excel where the trackpad is unresponsive.

The next issue I've been having is that my computer will go to sleep and upon waking it up it will take a long time to get back on my network. Once it's on I'll try to go to a url or search in safari and it will come back with % signs and this page could not be displayed. If I go off my network then back on it normally fixes the issue. I am using a gem 3 time capsule as my router so I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. My other devices seem relatively stable on the network.

My last issue is that finder will freeze up and say not responding so I have to restart it.

Apple had me reset PRAM and SMC and it works fine for awhile but then goes back to acting up. Do these seem like issues with the software or something bigger? Should I send it in? Thanks!

2. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

The rattling trackpad sounds like a hardware problem. The rest of the symptoms COULD be hardware or software (an OS reinstall MIGHT fix if software). It seems the only symptom that would be repeatable on demand is the trackpad.

It is hard to guess over the internet from the information available. Since it could be hardware, it is better to have Apple test and fix under the initial year warranty that would end by Jan 2016 (unknown if you also purchased Applecare).

I understand it is very inconvenient for you. Do you have an Apple Store near to have them check it out via an Apple Genius appointment to possibly save on turnaround time?

Make sure you have a good/recent backup before having any work done.

4. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply! I will send it to them then. I have the box but will probably wait until next Monday so I can use it over the weekend. There is an authorized Apple repair center near me but I haven't heard many good things about them. I'd rather have Apple fix the issues.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Sending it to them will be good if you don't have an Apple store nearby. They'll fix it. Apple Care is great.

Not sure about authorized Apple repair centers, though. Never tried them.

6. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

I sent it in Monday. They worked on it today and I'll have it back tomorrow. I'm pretty amazed by how easy the whole process was.

I guess they replaced the battery, system management controller and the top of the computer. That seems like a lot to be wrong with a computer that's 10 months old. I'm kinda wondering if I should drop the $350 to get AppleCare now.

7. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

These MBP's are very complex machines, and I would recommend getting AppleCare. You might not ever have to have your MBP repaired again, but if you should need to send it in for a repair, you'll be glad you have it; plus you extend your technical phone/store support.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I believe you can get a slight discount on AppleCare if you buy it from a place like B&H.

Just make sure you get a "sealed box" copy.

9. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that information! It's only $299 at B&H