Mid-2014 Mini: What are we in for?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ZipZilla, Aug 2, 2014.

1. ZipZilla macrumors regular

I'm thinking it will be 256GB SSD, Iris graphics, smaller with some ports eliminated.

Thoughts?

2. sharky25ant macrumors member

- 128 GB SSD in base model (it's a must on this era)
    - Haswell i5 processor
    - ac wifi
    - 8 GB RAM (upgradable to 16)
    - intel iris GPU

3. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

If we're lucky, we get:

- base model, like latest entry-level iMac (everything soldered)
    - normal model, with a "real" i5, that lets you BTO an i7 and/or 16GB RAM and/or a larger SSD
    - gfx the same in all model (see entry-level iMac)
    - so no TB2, no 4K
    - everything sealed-up like a submarine ;-)

In any case, as I've already spent the money on the 2012 model and upgrades.
    By the time, I need to upgrade that, the iWatch probably has more raw power than the 2012 Mini...

Isn't Broadwell supposed to deliver "integrated" gfx capable of driving 4K-displays natively?

4. haravikk macrumors 65816

Personally I don't expect a big change for a mid-2014 model, I expect any major changes to come when Broadwell is available. For that reason I'd expect the main differences to be 8gb RAM as standard and Firewire dropped for another Thunderbolt port (possibly upgrading to Thunderbolt 2).

I'd put a question mark over a switch for one of the SATA ports for a slot for a PCIe flash module, as I'm not sure if Apple would do it for a Haswell update or not. Regardless of whether they do I'd expect SSDs to remain optional (including a Fusion Drive option). Same with soldered RAM; they might take the opportunity (especially if they want a bigger fan to ensure the i7's stay cool) but if they're not changing the case design then there's not much reason for them to do so.

I think it's doubtful that they'd go for a redesign now, most likely they were waiting for Broadwell before doing so due to the greater efficiency (less heat). For Haswell it's probably better to stick with the current case as it can dissipate more heat, plus some help from the fan. If they do go for PCIe flash then they might be able to make the fan a bit bigger too, but it may not be too important.

I'm hoping the processors will continue to roughly mimic the Macbook Pro, so Iris and Iris Pro graphics making an appearance, at least on build to order options.

5. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

We're in for what Apple thinks we need, vice what it is we're telling Apple we want.

Did anyone ask for thinner desktops?
    Did anyone ask for non-upgradeable RAM?

I loved my 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard and my iPhone 5 with iOS6.
    I freaking hate my 2012 cMBP with Lion+ and my iPhone 5 with iOS7.

6. Ridley macrumors regular

I'd be really upset with 128 GB SSD... out of curiosity, why would you want anything less than a terabyte in a desktop machine? Especially since with a fusion drive you interact the directly with the SSD for most of your tasks.

I understand that a laptop may be restricted to a single drive, and therefore the tradeoff for speed vs storage might come into play. Anyway, i'm curious what your use case for that amount of storage is?

At least for me I want a updated mac mini to hold my iphoto library (that will no longer fit on MBA), virtual machines, photoshop, and movie backups. I'll also hook it up to my triplehead2go array via mini display port and my receiver through HDMI (for listening to music, and playing video).

To the OP, i'm HOPING for the same exactly design so I can install my own fusion drive (the process looks like a fun diy project) and upgrade the RAM on my own. I have a feeling that won't be possible though. You can't really add fusion to the iMac and while you can upgrade the RAM, you have to melt off the display, remove the logic board, and figure out how to glue it all back together (and custom cut foam).

7. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

slightly speed-bumped, bto 2.8 ghz
    4gb ram, maybe 8gb on mid-model
    500-750gb hdd or a 128gb pcie ssd
    hd5000, thunderbolt 2, 802.11ac
    no redesign or change in ports

8. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

- similar form factor
    - dual core with Iris, configurable to quad core with Iris Pro (I really hope they do this, I'd like a discrete GPU, something like a 860M but that most likely won't happen)
    - 128/256GB SSD, configurable up to 1TB
    - 8GB RAM, configurable up to 16GB
    - 2x TB ports
    - 4x USB 3 ports
    - SD slot
    - HDMI maybe? TB port can be used as mDP but then 15" rMBP has a HDMI port

These seems reasonable.

9. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

I just hope SSD comes standard on the base model. I'd be fine with 128 GB. I no longer store my music on my computer

10. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Iris pro is still integrated graphics.

nm.. your syntax confused me.

11. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

1- Two possible base Minis:
    (1.1) same specs as the cheap iMac, 8GB of soldered RAM, Iris Graphics, HDD storage;
    (1.2) same specs as the new rMBP 13", 8GB of soldered RAM, Iris Graphics, HDD or PCIe SSD storage;

2- Two possible high-end Minis:
    (2.1) same specs as the new base-rMBP (PCIe 256GB SSD, 16GB of soldered RAM, Iris Pro). Additional HDD as BTO option;

(2.2) the same quad-i7 as the new base-rMBP, but with non-soldered, 8GB RAM, upgradeable to 16GB. Iris Graphics or Iris Pro. Standard HDD, RAID or SATAIII Fusion drive as BTO options.

I'd prefer 1.2 and 2.1 options.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

For some people it's a desktop machine. For others it's a home theatre PC. And for others it's a server with attached storage.

13. apfelmann macrumors 6502

The good thing is:

Since it's almost two years since the last update, apple may give us a little better specs for the new mini than one normally would expect

Sort of as a compensation for the long wait!

14. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I'm going to weigh in with this;

The 2014 mini is essentially the same as the 2012 with the exception of the appropriate Haswell CPU/GPU upgrade. Graphics will be Iris, not Iris pro. A 500GB SSD will be available but the base storage will remain a 1TB 5400RPM HDD.

The back panel may offer one TB2 + FW800 or two TB1 ports. Minimum RAM will remain at 4GB. Prices will also remain the same.

What I would like to see is Iris Pro with an upgrade to the same 1GB VRAM dGPU used in the MBP. Unfortunately that doesn't fit the Apple product profile for the mini.

15. Meister, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

i think this comes really close!
    :apple: kept the MP fully upgradeable on a pro level.
    The Mini covers the entry-consumer and prosumer market.

So the base configuration will be somewhat upgradable but similar to the current mba.

They might give the base mini 128gb pcie ssd. Sata is not up to date in the :apple:world anymore.

There is no need for soldered RAM in the mini and 99% consumers dont need 4gb ram. So that stays as is.

I am hoping for a 6-core option and iris pro or even a dgpu. But I am not too hopefull.

16. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

An SSD in the base model would be delightful.

17. durkkin macrumors regular

What I want to see, and hope/think might happen, is a Mac Mini redesigned to look like the new Airport Extreme/Time Capsule. They already fit a decent amount of hardware in the Time Capsule with space left over. They pioneered the thermal core with the Mac Pro, so why not bring that over to the Mini? The current Mac Mini is 83 cu. in. and the Time Capsule is 98 cu. in. Smaller footprint with more internal space. The way they solder everything now there's no reason they couldn't fit processor with integrated graphics, soldered RAM, and a soldered SSD in there. Use the same port configuration as the Time Capsule, except instead of so many ethernet ports have 1 ethernet, 3 USB, and 1 TB2. Radical, small, best of everything. We waited 2 years for a new MP and we got a cylinder. Wait 2 years for a new Mini and we get another cylinder.

18. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

No way. In most applications, the low profile configuration is the way to go. If they make it 6" or 7" tall, it no longer fits well into the home theater space. We don’t need soldered RAM or SSD, again for the home theater application.

I definitely hope that Apple doesn’t do that with the Mini.

19. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Apple never haven't based the Mac Mini on the MacBook Pro of the time. It's ridiculous to think it would start sharing specs with the iMac all of a sudden.

20. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I hate to say it but it will be a smaller redesigned enclosure with Broadwell Core M Y series chip. PCIe with soldered 4gb Ram, 128 flash, 1 TB2, 4 USB3, Ethernet and HDMI 2.0.

Possible Series U chips next year with I5 and I7 upgrades.

If it would have been Haswell it would of happened by now.

21. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

As a stubborn Snow Leopard user, I have to pose this question:- Given that this board has observed that later OSs gobble up more ram, what does this latest boondoggle consume - more or less than Snow Leopard?

If more, will 4GB ram still be enough?

22. durkkin macrumors regular

True, but how much of a concern is that for Apple? They tend to go for more of a "wow" and "innovation" factor than fitting certain needs. The factories are already setup to make AppleTV and Airports (which are really the same thing with just different heights) that it wouldn't be hard to add Minis to that production line. Plus they would much rather have you buy an AppleTV and rent movies from iTunes than make your own home theatre setup. Even if people stopped buying Minis for home theatre setups the financial impact is so small and they would make much more from iTunes that I seriously doubt they would care. Apple is all about profits, and the small, soldered products is their new trend.

Regardless of your feelings toward the physical profile, you gotta admit it would be pretty cool to see them do that...

23. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I like that idea too for a complete redesign. My TC fits on my desk way better than my mini. Since the TC holds a real 3.5" HDD it follows that there is plenty of space for a PCIe storage option and two 2.5" SATA 3 slots.

Additionally the back side has enough room to comfortably fit a minimum six USB ports, one FW 800 port, an HDMI port and one or two TB ports. Place the SD card slot on the side for easy reach. A latching bottom would allow for easy RAM and storage replacement.

Finally I say make it out of white plastic like the TC. Save the money for quality equipment inside.

24. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

8 gig ram standard. Possibly ssd (hopefully bigger than 128). The same chip as the lowend imac/ airs. However I would hope that this will be the lower priced option and a more speccy version will accompany it for a higher price. However there could be a complete redesign so who knows.

25. Miat macrumors 6502a

It will if it can also be run lying on its side (i.e. in either vertical or horizontal orientation).

Can't see any reason it couldn't be.