Mid-2014 Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AFPoster, Aug 12, 2015.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

I'm struggling to believe that I'm stretching the marks of my macbook that burns the battery quickly. Which is why I am posting, to get the opinion of the community to see if I should see a Genius bar or not over this. Btw, I did run the test (Restart | Hold D Key) and passed every testing.

Currently, I have Safari, Google Chrome, HipChat, Microsoft Word & Excel 2016 open. I'm browsing through non-video / audio sites, all content driven and responding to emails through gmail, while writing. My brightness is around 80%.

I can charge my laptop to 100%, leave it charged for an hour or so and when I unplug within about 1 hour my battery will drop to 82%. From there, by the next hour I'm in the 50's and it get's worse over time.

I know the specs said 9+ hours of battery life, I'm lucky to get 4.5. Is it something I'm doing? I've checked my Activity Monitor and everything appears to be on the up and up. Just strange!

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

1) get rid of chrome, its known to be a battery hog. I have no experience with Hipchat so I have no clue. I use MS Office as well and have no issues with it.

I have the same macbook as you and I have no issues with battery life. I'm at 77% currently and been playing music & video as well. I should mention I unplugged my laptop before I went to bed 1230 (my time) this morning.

I would check out your activity monitor and see what apps are taking a lot of memory/cpu/energy and either uninstalling (Deleting) or disable those problems for now and see how your battery fairs.

If you still have issues, I would reinstall OS X and start from scratch. However, before you install programs, let the system run on battery and see how fast your battery goes down. If it continues to go down fast, go see a genius at the apple store.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have the same MBP and it's definitely Chrome. When I'm not plugged in the charger, I use Safari. I switch to Chrome when I'm plugged in.

Chrome is a way better browser and all my bookmarks are in Chrome and I don't want to use Safari unless I have to.

There was a press conference by Google that their upcoming updates are going to take into consideration battery life etc.

Also check if your bluetooth is on.

Also check what may be running in auto login. If there's Apple streaming in iTunes running using WiFi the battery will definitely drop.

4. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for these comments. Uninstalling Chrome to test this out. I did see that Safari was at 33% under CPU and Chrome was at 1.4% while reading the forums on Safari.

Bluetooth is on, have the Apple mouse. Will keep you both posted on my results. Any idea on Firefox and it's benefits?

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Use Safari if you can

6. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Chrome's a dick when it comes to RAM management and battery life. Get rid of it when you can.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

It's a way better browser than Safari, though.

There's a Chrome extension that pauses all tabs except the active one, that may help OPs battery life.

8. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

So far just using Safari and my battery went from 100% to 82% over 3 hours and I left the mac in sleep mode for 40min of that time. Better than before, but have to believe there is a battery issue.

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Turn off Power Nap in energy settings.

10. AFPoster thread starter macrumors 65816

Done, thanks for the heads up!

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No that sounds about right at 80% screen brightness on a 15 inch.

12. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502