Mid-2014 rMBP 13-Inch: noise question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fullofclovers, Sep 16, 2014.

1. fullofclovers macrumors newbie

First time MacBook Pro user and being the OSD guy that I am with new electronics I wanted to ask if I should be hearing a sound when I open the lid after it's been in sleep mode and when it wakes I hear a faint but noticeable "zipping" sound for a quick second or two. I believe it to be from the right side of the trackpad. Thanks!

2. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

I do not hear anything on my mid 2014 13" rMBP.

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Same. I have the 2014 15-inch and it's silent.

4. fullofclovers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for replying. I just wanted to update that I have exchanged my Macbook and this replacement does not have that fan noise I described.

5. anarti macrumors regular

My mid 2014 13 retina is dead silent. Can't even hear the fan:)

6. dj95 macrumors member

I hear the exact same thing on my Mid-2014 rMBP 13, couldn't have described it better myself. It definitely sounds like its from the right half of the laptop and its when I wake it from sleep. It surprises me as before I got the machine everyone says its dead silent (which apart from this it is). Strange. I guess if it becomes a problem I will have to have it repaired as I'm out of my return period.

7. Tourgott macrumors member

I'm pretty sure all rMBP have this because I had the exact same noise on my first rMBP 2014. On the first one this noise was very loud. On my second one it is also there but I just noticed it because I was sensitized. If you don't know that there is such a noise you wouldn't notice it.

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a

My 15" rMBP doesn't have this noise (that I have noticed), but my 2010 MBA does.

-- Nathan