Mid 2014 rMBP - Partial yellow tint /Pink Apple logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LMD75, Feb 3, 2015.

1. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I have recently bought a mid 2014 base model Macbook Pro Retina 15” and I am not impressed with the screen compared to the 2013/2014 LG A019 models as found in the Stores.

The screen is a Samsung A022 and this one had a yellow tint on the left hand side of the screen with a pink glow to the Apple logo on the lid. The edges of the screen were also yellow. On the plus side it has no image retention, the backlight bleed is pretty good with decent brightness and vibrant colors. I would consider the general white point as accurate (slightly warm - D65).

In my country of residence there are no official Apple Stores so it is not possible to get it exchanged within a 14 day period unless it was bought online via Apple. All laptops (even DoA) bought outside of Apple need to be taken to an Authorized Apple Repair Center and they only replace the screen and not swap the entire laptop as they do with iPhones. For the record the only reason why I did not buy from Apple was because I managed to get it on finance at 0% interest over 36 months.

Anyway I am very interested to know what actually causes a partial yellow tint. The screen is black and the pixels are red, green and blue so where does the yellow come from? Some people say its glue and some say it’s not.

However what I can say is that the yellow tint on the edges of the screen has disappeared and the yellow tint on the left hand side has almost gone after a 3 days of burn-in tests. I.e. I turned off the power management settings and put a pure white image on the screen overnight and also run a 16:10 stuck pixel video.

I calibrated the screen using the built-in software and increased the white point slightly so that it matches the LG screens and now the screen is not that bad after a couple of days use.

It would be great to know what actually causes partial yellow tints.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Did you contact where you bought it from and ask what they could do? i.e. exchange it.

3. LMD75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I did and their policy sucks. It was purchased from a mobile phone carrier online and if the product is faulty then you need to take it into one of their high street stores. You visit the high street store and they tell you to go to an authorized Apple repair center as the stores do not sell laptops.

I have spoken with customer service and also the Store Manager including Apple. The Store Manager said that I can blame Apple for their replacement policy and Apple said that they cannot help me as I purchased it from a Reseller.

I have decided to return it to them under the distant selling rules as an unwanted item. I will not be able to order from them again though as I have already returned two other rMBP's with similar screen issues.

My lesson here is that the quality of the rMBP screen is not consistent and is a pure lottery in what you get. Also I do not expect the Resellers to open box after box as they will not be reimbursed by Apple.

I think I am going to look at the 5k iMacs instead as atleast it is only LG that makes the screens.