Mid-2014 rMP 13" damaged coating /staingate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomnavratil, Jul 23, 2015.

1. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Hi all,

unfortunately even though I might be lucky and not affected by the whole staingate issue, I have noticed a small damaged coating near the Facetime Camera.

I know there have been many threads about it but some of them are really old. My question is, is there any way to fix it if it's relative small? Or at least stop it from spreading?

And if not, did Apple release an official info regarding this so I can take it to an authorised service (no Apple Store in the Czech Republic) and they will replace the screen?

I have very little money at the moment so there is no way I can afford several hundred dollars on a new screen unfortunately.

Thank you all for any help.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

If it is the damaged coating, then there is no current scheme in place for a free fix.

The only thing you can do is avoid that area for touching and cleaning and hope it doesn't get any worse.

You are in europe so if it is less than 2 years old you can ring apple and quote their own legal warranty for the EU and send it back to them to fix it's worth a try.

3. tomnavratil thread starter macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Thank you, that's what I thought unfortunately.

I only clean my screen with very lightly wet cloth and I never touch it so no idea how it could have happened.

I am indeed, if it gets any worse, I might need to do. Thanks a lot for advise!

4. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

This is a known issue and is not your fault. The problem is the AR coating (Anti-Reflective) which has not been applied properly during manufacturing. Over time this shows as a couple of spots and even with a lint free cloth and tap water this makes the issue worse. This has happened on my MBPR and its not even 12 months old. I contacted Apple who have agreed to replaced the display at no cost to me (some $1,400 worth). People are also emailing Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com) with this issue and pics and getting a phone call a couple of days later to say the screen will be replaced at no cost.

Take it to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider and find out what can be done and it should not cost you a cent. I use a lint free cloth and tap water - same issue. Chinese whispers indicate a programme being officially announced soon in relation to this issue. Be persistent.

5. tomnavratil thread starter macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Thank you, appreciate your answer, my one is probably around one year old with the same issue. I'm being very careful at the moment but I assume I would need to send it for a replace. Hopefully there are any Service Providers near me as I moved back to the Czech Republic and it's not that great. Thanks a lot.

6. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Check here for CZ - https://locate.apple.com/cz/en/ and if nothing close email Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com) with a brief description and some pics. You will be contacted a couple of days later.