Mid-2014 with dedicated GPU users, can you guys try this?

FlaccidSnake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
Hi,

Please see this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFvbc6kzyFs

I was able to see this black flicker/blinking when I reproduce this test.
Can you guys try this and also set your resolution about "Best for Retina"?

The reason why I searched this issue is because I run into this for apps that uses dGPU like Google Chrome.

I currently temporarily bypass this issue by using gfx.io.

I'm wondering if this is normal for all you dGPU Retina users?

Thanks

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
I would say some occasional flickering is ok when you change your graphical settings like that. It is certainly not ok when the system is running in the automatic switching mode and you experience flickering.

FlaccidSnake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
I would say some occasional flickering is ok when you change your graphical settings like that. It is certainly not ok when the system is running in the automatic switching mode and you experience flickering.
I experience this occasionally when I'm using apps like Google Chrome where it switches on dGPU.

This never happens to me on my old 2009 unibody with discrete card.

My colleague who has the 2012 Retina doesn't have this issue either even when doing the manual switching.

Does anyone have a Retina to see if they can reproduce this also?

----------

That's completely normal!
How does it bother you?!
It bothers me because it happens intermittently while I'm using some apps. I'm forced to use gfx.io to force to use integrated to avoid this issue.

goMac

macrumors 604
Apr 15, 2004
This never happens to me on my old 2009 unibody with discrete card.
The 2009 had two cards, but it did not do automatic switching. You had to change the setting and then logout before anything would actually switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.