Mid-2015 15" Triple External Monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by geoffreak, Jul 14, 2015.

1. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

My 2012 15" rMBP is in for repairs (battery and screen coating) so I am using a new 2015 15" rMBP (AMD model) while it is gone (bought from Apple, returning in a week). One issue I've run into is that the computer absolutely refuses to connect to more than 2 external monitors.

On my 2012, I had two displays hooked up to the thunderbolt ports and one in the HDMI port, but this 2015 I'm using will only power the first two I hook up, regardless of connection. Needless to say, this is quite frustrating and has me less than eager to ever replace my 2012 whenever the time comes.

Has anyone come up with a workaround for this, or am I just SOL until my 2012 gets back? (No, USB graphics aren't acceptable)

2. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

There are some Thunderbolt based breakout boxes that can take PCIe cards for about $200-$300. You won't get as fast a video as if the card is local, but it will drive a monitor. I'd hit your favorite search engine on how to do this, but it should give you an acceptable solution.

3. dsmedic10 macrumors member

According to Apple, the 2015 Macbook Pro (13" and 15") both support "up to two external displays". You could get a thunderbolt Dock and use one TB port for a display and two more via the Dock (assuming the dock supports more than one display). Or you could just wait until your laptop comes back.