Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samrielly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2016
I have had my 15" MacBook Pro since october 2015 and i've always been impressed with how quietly in runs in most situations but in the past month or so if the cpu reaches anything beyond 15% usage the temperature seems to reach very hot (up to 100C) and the fans ramp up to beyond 6000rpm. I had only seen this when doing heavy editing in premiere where the CPU would be using almost all it's power, up to 90% or so, otherwise I never even heard the fans watching videos or editing pictures but now if I run anything that causes the cpu to exceed 85% idle the fans get infuriatingly loud and the temperatures stay at 80 - 90C (100C before the fans kick in)

I have the dedicated GPU model (Radeon R9 M370X) running El Capitan and I have tried doing an smc reset to no avail.

If someone knows how to fix my problem it would be a godsend because the fans are driving me mad. normal web surfing and even watching mp4s on my system, the fans are at a steady 2000-3000rpm and i can't hear them but internet videos, gaming etc cause the fans to go to 6000rpm. there's no inbetween between silence and jet taking off!

I feel like the internals and the fans are being unnecessarily worked constantly, which i'm sure is going to cut short the life my laptop has.

Last edited:

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
Hey samrielly,

There could be few things causing this. There could be some setting or program that is causing it to act like this. I know this is a sort of shot-gun approach, but I would recommend backing everything up to an external drive and do a clean install of El Capitan. Here is a guide to do this: http://mashable.com/2015/10/01/clean-install-os-x-el-capitan/#Rc15r4B6pEqB

A very similar issue happened to my late 2013 MBP retina and the clean install fixed it. I actually do a clean install once a year when the new OS is released.

You already tried the SMC reset, this would be the next step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.