Mid-2015 Macbook Pro Screen Vertical Lines

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iPad Retina, Mar 20, 2016.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hello I received my Mid-2015 Macbook Pro with Dgpu, when i was running photoshop and a few other intensive apps. After I closed out of them, and launched the youtube.com, few seconds later vertical lines appeared. What could cause this?

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

looks like a GPU issue its within warranty take it into apple and they'll mend it.

3. MrAverigeUser, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Agree - will be a GPU issue…

2017 will be the 10th anniversary that apple is incapable to design notebooks without perfectly-implemented "GPU-grill"-option…. it is a shame….
    even the 2013 rMBP has now officially entered in the "extended repair program" for GPUs - so it is just a question of time that the 2014, 2015 models will follow this apple-tradition of unreliability….

but "thinner" (=hotter) is always first priority for the guy leading the so-called "design"-department….
    I think this apple-tradition of barbecued GPUs will only end if someone will give term to Jony Ive´s contract….

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

5. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Should I get a replacement computer or just a repair, its just 1 month old

6. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

It happened again

Attached Files:

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I would definitely demand a new computer.

8. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

i just blurred my messages. so annoying, happens after i use the dedicated graphics card. same issue with my old one too

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Sometime down the road, there will be an extended warranty program after someone file a class action lawsuit against Apple.

10. MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Shame on apple again…

Evidently you have a DG-Model of the 2015 line with a Radeon R9 M370X?
    Make pressure to get a NEW one, not a repaired one.

Sadly, you can only diminish the risk by NOT purchasing the DG-model, but one of the models without dGPU.
    I have no idea if the models with "only" the iGPU are useful for intense work like photoshop, but I doubt they are…

If you need a mobile Computer for such work, sadly you only can make sure to get a complete replacement each time this happens. And make sure to purchase the so.called "apple care" (which is necessarily needed, because apple DOESN´T CARE AT ALL about the problem since now about 10 years)… because apple denies always at the beginning for about 3-4 years the design flaw causing this issue and ALWAYS waits until a class action lawsuit is about to be won by the customers - they NEVER "care" about these issue until then.

Sadly, I cannot give you a better or more optimistic advice… they just don´t care - and Jony Ive (as one of the responsibles for the dGPU-barbecue-"feature") gives a **** on customers needs…

"Thinner" is always much more sexy for Jony Ive than "reliable"...

11. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Yes I do. Ever since Tim Has taken over. The products feel different. Steve cared about the efficiency of the product. To make sure everything is balenced equally. But now. Jony Ive has kinda lost it with the thinner and thinner design. Components just don't work the same. The MacBook Air is fine. Because of the light processer. But this is a a rmbp, that is used for intense work.

12. MrAverigeUser, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

MrAverigeUser macrumors 6502a

MrAverigeUser

Our family uses 2011 and 2012 MBPs with mat "HiRes" screens for many well-known and good reasons.

I posted in this forum about a month ago some propositions to prevent these MBPs from grilling GPUs… don´t find that immediately.

But one of the advices is to install the free app macFanControl.(THANKS a lot to the developer again! you did a good job!!)
    With the last version you can not only always look at the temperatures but also the fan rpms.
    Evidently, the MBP starts too late with cooling.
    To protect my MBP, I used the "customer" mode and set for one fan the cpu-temperature and for other the gpu-temperature. the threshold for higher rpms begins now already at 64 ° C for both. I have chosen a temperature of 73° C as a maximum temperature. This is MUCH lower and more secure than the original apple-default-temperatures (both "entry-level" and max-level!) - at the "cost" of fans starting earlier to cool down IN TIME the GPU.

For example, starting an app like Word for mac lets the fans run for 10 seconds - and then they rest calm - so overheating is efficiently prevented. 10 seconds of running fans are NOT a big problem for me - but this is a shame for Jony Ive´s "Designer" reputation….

mostly, the fans only are just a little bit faster - but resting silent though, because even at about 2800 rpm it is nearly impossible to hear them. The "standard" default low rpms are 2000 rpm for both with the original apple settings - and they stay at 2000 for a LONG TIME before reacting on rising temperatures. bTW: The trigger for the fans is NOT temperature, it is electric consumption. While this seems intelligent at first glance because cooling should start EARLY with this settings, it depends nevertheless on the settings of this mode of fan-controlling. EVIDENTLY the original apple-settings are not sufficiently protecting because the threshold for higher rpms starts much too late for the bad engineering/cooling design.
    So - there are a lot of arguments to use the protective added app of MacFanControl - when set in an intelligent way. Of course, if you set your personal settings too low, it will be more dangerous - but jot is nearly impossible to set it more dangerous as apple does… but be prudent (just as a disclaimer)… and control your setting easily by surveillance of all the indicated thermal sensors in the MFC app. After some days you will see how your personal setting correlate with your GPU-workload. you can nevertheless at every moment get back to the original apple-settings with just 5 clicks. or adapt your settings more properly with some clicks either...

Sometimes - with my own settings - the fans get loud just for some seconds - and calm down rapidly. I HATE the noise of fans, but even with my new "security-setting" I nearly never have fan-noise, not even while regarding videos or films or whatsoever. Nor do I while working with photo-apps like silkypix Pro or Canon Digital Photo Professional. But these apps are less demanding than Photoshop and it depends on the intensity of your workflow (I am just a enthusiastic Photo-amateur, not a Pro).

Nevertheless,
    having always a look at the GPU-temperature at the upper screen,
    having a more and earlier reacting cooling system and
    having the chance to react with just two clicks on higher temperatures or even preventing overheating by demanding higher rpms in a PROPHYLACTIC sense does NOT AT ALL excuse apple for their bad hand insufficient design and engineering, but helps (together with other propositions) to diminish the risk of the never-ending-apple-GPU-barbecue-party ….

hope this helps.. preventing a little bit the consequences of "apple engineering" getting more and more ridiculous…. and dangerous for their products and embarrassing for their customers...

13. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

They said if it were to be a hardware problem, then it would be repaired. Not replaced.

14. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

15. bfid111 macrumors 6502

demand a screen replacement

16. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I get that every once in a while. It only happens in Safari. It always disappears when I refresh the screen. I have a 2012 rMBP i7 2.7.

Both of these occurrences around six months ago. My warranty ran out in November. I've not had it happen again since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. alphadog808 macrumors member

I have a 2015 with igpu. Should I be worried?

18. iPad Retina thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

Hi. I have the same exact problem. Once I refresh the page. It's gone.