Mid 2015 MBPr with NVME SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dsgnr, Mar 16, 2017.

1. dsgnr macrumors member

Hi everyone, I have a Mid 2015 15" MacBook Pro Retina (2.2Ghz i7, 16GB RAM and 256GB storage). I am hoping to add more storage to the MacBook in the near future and was looking at the new Samsung NVME 960 Pro.

My question is, will there be a noticeable difference in speed with the NVME over a normal M.2 style SSD?

Thanks!

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

Sorry, welcome to Apple world, where the last 5 years of laptops are basically unupgradeable. Your MBP uses a proprietary PCI-E SSD connector and you're stuck using OWC (IMHO I don't like their 'solution' as it's basically 2 SATA SSD's in a RAID 0 configuration) or buying used Apple SSD's on ebay. At least you can swap out the SSD without having to replace the logic board too. TB equipped rMBP are basically permanently stuck unless they sell their laptop.

3. dsgnr thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, what do you mean I'm stuck with OWC? Sorry, I know they're a brand - I didn't realise they were the only ones I could upgrade to lol.

I've taken the base off and it just looks like any other M.2 to me, unless I've completely missed something

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

The look similar but the size/electrical config is proprietary. I'm surprised no one's made an adapter yet. OTOH there's very little clearance available...

5. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Is external storage or even NAS a possibility? You are going to be so limited in options that the pricing will be insane, and you may not be able to find a reputable outlet that will sell you a (truly brand new and truly OEM) Apple SSD that will work with your machine. If you can find a brand new OEM Apple 1TB SSD, the price might be so high that it would be difficult-to-impossible to justify.

6. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

You have 5 options in your situation:
    1. Buying a Apple SSD -
    You can buy a second hand/OEM drive at your own risk from an eBay or Amazon marketplace seller. The 2015 Apple SSD speeds are the fastest on the market for this model. Careful looking at third party sellers because you could be paying a huge amount for a slower SSD from a 2013/2014 macbook pro
    or
    You can buy one new from an Apple Authorized Provider, but the costs are so high. I contacted a provider and was told with taxes included, a 1TB drive from Apple would cost around $1200US (I'm not kidding)
    Apple Store will not help you with upgrades. It is either paying a fortune for an upgraded Apple SSD through an Apple provider or buying used online

2. Buying a OWC Aura SSD

OWC has a 480GB and 960GB flash storage option ($380-640) BUT this SSD is much slower than the SSD in your current macbook pro
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc/macbook-air/2013-2014-2015

3. Buying a MCE Technologies

MCE offers a 512GB and 960GB flash storage option ($449-649), and they claim to offer 1440mb/s read and 1100mb/s write, a little closer to the speed of the Apple SSD
    http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TBPCIESSD-L13M14

4. Buying a used or Apple refurbished 2015 MBP
    If you are set on staying with the 2015 MBP generation, there are still refurbished models popping on the Apple refurbished store and you could buy an upgraded mac and sell your old mac. 2015 MBPs still hold a pretty solid resale value given the controversy over the 2016 macbook pro.
    Refurb me is a great site to subscribe for alerts on the Apple Refurbished Store
    or
    Buy used on ebay or Amazon

5. Buying a MicroSD card & adapter
    This is the most affordable way to add more storage to your computer
    You can easily add up to an additional 256gb storage to your computer by buying a micro sd card and there are adapters that are designed for 2015 MBP to run flush with the computer so it doesn't look like anything is sticking out.
    The down side is that micro SD cards are much slower, but this would be a good option for storing iTunes media and freeing up space on your SSD for other uses where SSD speed could be better utilized
    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-200GB-Micro-SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A/dp/B00V62XBQQ/
    https://www.amazon.com/8MOBILITY-Aluminum-MicroSD-Storage-Adapter/dp/B00TTFOH5Q/

Hope that helps

7. jerryk macrumors 68020

logicstudiouser has it correct.

But look at it this way. At least you have options. The upgrade path from 2016 onward is pull out the credit card and buy a new system.:confused:

8. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

This is another great option with high write speeds for the type of product :)
    https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-JetDrive-Storage-Expansion-TS256GJDL360/dp/B00WGARJGU