Mid-2015 rMBP 15" Creeking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thed0nut, Jun 22, 2015.

1. thed0nut macrumors newbie

thed0nut

Hey,

So, I previously had a 13" 2014 rMBP and it was great. I then upgraded to the new mid-2015 rMBP 15" with dedicated gpu, but I find the whole thing seems to creek when you hold it or move it around and it doesn't feel anywhere near as solid as the 13" version.

Is this normal and if not, what sort of recourse do I have to get a refund or a replacement?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its not normal, but other's have reported similar issues. If you're not happy with it - then exchange it.

3. thed0nut thread starter macrumors newbie

thed0nut

This was bought online. Any idea on what the procedure is for this?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe you call them, open a ticket, they do some troubleshooting on the phone, Barring any possible solution, they'll send you a prepaid shipping box to send the laptop back. They'll send you a new one if its a new laptop, or repair the laptop if its older then a month

5. thed0nut thread starter macrumors newbie

thed0nut

Well, my first time dealing with Apple support and I am not impressed.

This is pretty much what my laptop sounds like:

But the online support and phone support say they cannot help me unless I go to store and see someone at the genius bar. If I bought from store, I could understand, but buying online and then now having to go store to solve what is obviously a defect is disappointing.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I have seen this on here a few times the fix is to reseat the bottom plate on most occasions, just take it into the store and get them to take a look, if it's as simple as reseating the bottom plate they'll do it there and then. This will be far better for you and apple, than sending it away to be fixed and waiting.

To be honest taking it in for a purely mechanical issue like this seems to be the best option....

7. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Just return it and get another one - let apple mess about with it at their expense.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, its a new laptop just return it.

9. Jinzen macrumors 6502

No, that's not normal. I just received my 2015, coming from a 2013... they shouldn't creek or flex at all.

Bring it to an apple store to see if it can be adjusted, if not definitely exchange it.

10. kindofsleepy macrumors newbie

kindofsleepy

yea that ain't normal. I'd take it back.
    If it helps, you might not need to make a Genius bar appointment. I know you can now return things from the online store at a brick+mortar store, I would imagine exchanges are ok as well.

11. gordian macrumors member

Try getting in touch with Apple Customer Relations (ask the tech support rep).

I had a loose and squeaky key on my new 2015 rMPB 15" and I called in the second day I had it. I described the issue, got bounced around a little bit, but the consensus was I paid for precision so I should send it back for a replacement, which I did. It took about 8 business days to receive my new (custom) build after opening the replacement ticket.

Hope it works out.

12. Studflower macrumors member

I had this exact issue.

I returned it no questions asked. Been seeing a lot of similar threads so I'm just waiting for the redesign now.

13. nStyle macrumors 65816

I purchased a Mid 2015 as well just to try it out and see if I would prefer it over the 13". While I didn't have the same level of sounds in the same place, there definitely was a creak sound where the body flexed at the upper-center of the bottom piece. I didn't like how much the body flexed in general, and it sort of sounded like metal was sticking.

I am very particular over build quality if I'm going to pay a premium, so I'm sticking with the 13".