Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
I just got this macbook last week. Its running high sierra. It's the mid 2017 i7 radeon 560 model. Sometimes when I come out of sleep I just have a black screen. The touchbar and keyboard will both light up and work like normal when this happens though, but obviously since the screen wont turn on I have to force reboot.

The bug happens if the mac is hooked up to an external display or if its on its own with just the apple charger plugged in. In the case that an external monitor is plugged in though, it will turn on and the entire thing will just go solid red.

The only way to fix the bug is to press and hold the finger print scanner and reboot the device :(

t3rminus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
I have a 2016 MBP with the same issue. It’s been crashing for me non-stop since Oct 2016. I have an ongoing case with Apple, my machine’s been replaced 4 times to no avail, and I’m starting to think I won’t ever see a fix.

Tell me, do you also get a “You restarted the computer because of a problem” dialog when you restart sometimes? And if you click “Details” before sending a report to Apple, there’s an error about “*** MCA Error Report *** CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump”.

I’ve had solid red screens, solid blue screens, solid yellow screens, “ghost” monitors where it says there’s an external display connected when there isn’t...

I feel your pain.

Reactions: duderman67

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I have this same issue. Doesn't occur super frequently but it's a pain.
I have a 2016 MBP with the same issue. It’s been crashing for me non-stop since Oct 2016. I have an ongoing case with Apple, my machine’s been replaced 4 times to no avail, and I’m starting to think I won’t ever see a fix.

Tell me, do you also get a “You restarted the computer because of a problem” dialog when you restart sometimes? And if you click “Details” before sending a report to Apple, there’s an error about “*** MCA Error Report *** CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump”.

I’ve had solid red screens, solid blue screens, solid yellow screens, “ghost” monitors where it says there’s an external display connected when there isn’t...

I feel your pain.

Thanks for the details. I have this same issue on my 2017 machine, though luckily I haven't encountered it frequently. However, I can concur I've seen a solid yellow screen and a solid blue screen upon wake and then my MBP is basically unusable and requires a forced restart.

I have seen this on Sierra (still waiting to upgrade), though sad to hear it's still there in High Sierra. I've also seen the “You restarted the computer because of a problem” upon wake consistently. I hate submitting those reports as I feel they never go anywhere but next time I'll actually check to see what the error report consists of haha.

If you guys could share how you have your external monitors are hooked up (which types of cables)? I actually have a Thunderbolt 3 dock but I'm sure this is also seen on direct USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort connections as well. Maybe we can limit the issue to a certain connection type.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017

I feel your pain.

I always get the restarted from an error popup but I didn't click details. I will next time and report back.

It's really annoying. The screen is black. Keyboard lights are on. Touchbar is on. The little animation asking me to put my finger on the print scanner is animating. But hitting any buttons or putting my finger on the scanner does nothing.

t3rminus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
If you guys could share how you have your external monitors are hooked up (which types of cables)? I actually have a Thunderbolt 3 dock but I'm sure this is also seen on direct USB-C to HDMI or DisplayPort connections as well. Maybe we can limit the issue to a certain connection type.
Nope, sorry. It’s not specific to any connecting type. The most stable it’s been for me is with USB-C to DisplayPort cables (Plugable), but I still get crashes after disconnecting or upon connection, almost daily.

In an attempt to troubleshoot, I’ve also tried Anker HDMI Adapters, and Plugable HDMI Cables, with no improvement. The only cables I didn’t have an issue with were the official Apple Digital AV adapter, but those don’t offer 4K@60Hz (they were supposed to, but Apple’s own documentation was updated to say 3rd party adapters are required). It’s possible I didn’t troubleshoot enough, though, since I can’t keep them if they don’t offer 4k@60Hz.

A lot of HDMI 2.0 devices use DisplayPort internally, and convert to HDMI (including Plugable’s cables, which even say “HDMI” in macOS) so it’s hard to properly gauge what protocol is being used.

It would be better to get a list of what actual monitors people are using. At this point in my case with Apple, I suspect they’re going to have me change monitors, and claim mine are “unsupported”.

I’m currently using 2x ASUS MG24UQ monitors via Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort cables.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017

Thanks for the details. I have this same issue on my 2017 machine, though luckily I haven't encountered it frequently. However, I can concur I've seen a solid yellow screen and a solid blue screen upon wake and then my MBP is basically unusable and requires a forced restart.

I have seen this on Sierra (still waiting to upgrade), though sad to hear it's still there in High Sierra. I've also seen the “You restarted the computer because of a problem” upon wake consistently. I hate submitting those reports as I feel they never go anywhere but next time I'll actually check to see what the error report consists of haha.

I've had it happen to me with:

1. no external display attached

2. 1 USB-C to HDMI display attached @ 1080p60hz

3. 1 USB-C to MiniDisplay 1.2 @4k60hz

and here is a dump of my system.log. I booted up from sleep at 11:16 and force rebooted it at 11:19:

https://pastebin.com/kkc7GHNE
[doublepost=1507489442][/doublepost]Also from yesterday I found this log report for "Sleep Wake Failure" but I'm not sure if it's related:
No samples for specified time interval

================================================================

Code: 0x5fc87e804000031
Stackshot reason: Watchdog

t3rminus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
I've had it happen to me with:

1. no external display attached

2. 1 USB-C to HDMI display attached @ 1080p60hz

3. 1 USB-C to MiniDisplay 1.2 @4k60hz

and here is a dump of my system.log. I booted up from sleep at 11:16 and force rebooted it at 11:19:

https://pastebin.com/kkc7GHNE
[doublepost=1507489442][/doublepost]Also from yesterday I found this log report for "Sleep Wake Failure" but I'm not sure if it's related:

Did you get a "You restarted your computer because of a problem." dialog after you rebooted?

In my experience, there are three things that happen:
1. The system crashes with a Kernel Panic. Upon rebooting, you get the problem dialog, and a report that contains "MCA Error Report". Touchbar is non-reponsive, and screen is black, or a solid color.

2. The system doesn't crash, but the display does. You don't get a problem dialog after rebooting. Touchbar appears to work (even though you can't see or affect anything on the screen). Screen is black, or a solid color.

3. The system doesn't crash, but the display takes a LONG time to "wake up" and start displaying your desktop. And I mean 5 minutes or more. Screen is black, and touchbar appears to work. You don't get a problem dialog after rebooting.

Keeping track or finding out which one of these is most often happening to you (and others) would help with my ongoing case with Apple.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I too have had this happen since I got my original MBP. Seems to always be an issue when plugging in my LG 5Ks into my sleeping/closed MBP. Every morning I unplug the two 5K displays from my sleeping MBP and plug in a TB3 dock at work with an external 1440p display connected to the dock and my machine opens up just fine. The one and only time my machine consistently locks up is when I got home, after putting my MBP to sleep with no external connections at work and plugging in the 2 5Ks at home while the machine is still sleeping.

Reactions: scott_donald

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2017
Did you get a "You restarted your computer because of a problem." dialog after you rebooted?

In my experience, there are three things that happen:
1. The system crashes with a Kernel Panic. Upon rebooting, you get the problem dialog, and a report that contains "MCA Error Report". Touchbar is non-reponsive, and screen is black, or a solid color.

2. The system doesn't crash, but the display does. You don't get a problem dialog after rebooting. Touchbar appears to work (even though you can't see or affect anything on the screen). Screen is black, or a solid color.

3. The system doesn't crash, but the display takes a LONG time to "wake up" and start displaying your desktop. And I mean 5 minutes or more. Screen is black, and touchbar appears to work. You don't get a problem dialog after rebooting.

Keeping track or finding out which one of these is most often happening to you (and others) would help with my ongoing case with Apple.

I think it's number two because the touchbar still even animates and works normally but the screen does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I'm not sure if the system is actually still running or not though. I've enabled SSH so next time it happens I'm going to try and SSH into the device after it's in the broken state, and that will hopefully indicate if the system crashed as well. Although again, there's no logs or kernel panic reports indicating a crash occurred.

powerslave12r

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
Seeing this issue for the scenario with no external monitors (but plugged in and charging) on a 2015 MBP 15. Fresh install of High Sierra and Resetting SMC/NVRAM has not helped.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I've had the black screen on wake with no external monitor attached on my 2017 MBP several times. It's happened in Sierra and High Sierra. Sometimes the screen will wake up after a long wait (several minutes), sometimes not. I've had to hold the power button to reboot several times and had it actually fully wake up right before rebooting a few times.

This is on a MBP with the Radeon Pro 555.

It doesn't happen all the time, but frequently enough that I'm wary of it happening every time I open the lid.

I've yet to see the “You restarted the computer because of a problem” when waking from sleep.

scott_donald

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2016
I seem to get a similar problem or a complete crash daily now.... think I have tried almost all versions of High Sierra and didn't have any problems after the first update in February last year of Sierra...

not happy but living with it... reported it so many times and given Beta feedback...

bastula

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
This is also happening to me on a frequent basis on my 2017 MBP. Two external monitors (one DVI, one 4k using DisplayPort). When I take the MBP home, it will exhibit this exact issue where the touchbar shows touch to unlock but the display is black.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I think it's number two because the touchbar still even animates and works normally but the screen does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I'm not sure if the system is actually still running or not though. I've enabled SSH so next time it happens I'm going to try and SSH into the device after it's in the broken state, and that will hopefully indicate if the system crashed as well. Although again, there's no logs or kernel panic reports indicating a crash occurred.
I’ve had this happen a few times on both my 2017 MBP and 2012 MBA. For some reason the display backlight doesn’t come on but the system is still running. I’ve had luck getting the screen to come on by messing with screen brightness controls and sometimes by SHIFT+CMD+Q to back out to the login screen, but have not been able to come up with a 100% process to make the screen light up beyond forced reboot.

Eddideku

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
I'm having the same issue! I can see my cursor and I hear music and OS sounds. :( This has been happening all week!

Attachments

• 15162295676771583424984885541044.jpg
    15162295676771583424984885541044.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 322

brosenz

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

I feel your pain.
Has Apple replaced your MacBook Pro with the 2017 version?
[doublepost=1517104310][/doublepost]

What dock (brand and model) are you using?
[doublepost=1517105328][/doublepost]
I too have had this happen since I got my original MBP. Seems to always be an issue when plugging in my LG 5Ks into my sleeping/closed MBP. Every morning I unplug the two 5K displays from my sleeping MBP and plug in a TB3 dock at work with an external 1440p display connected to the dock and my machine opens up just fine. The one and only time my machine consistently locks up is when I got home, after putting my MBP to sleep with no external connections at work and plugging in the 2 5Ks at home while the machine is still sleeping.
What brand and model of dock are you using at work?

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
[doublepost=1517104310][/doublepost]
What dock (brand and model) are you using?
[doublepost=1517105328][/doublepost]
What brand and model of dock are you using at work?

Belkin TB3 express dock. One thing I’m noticing now is that I haven’t had a crash since I switched to using only a single monitor with no USB devices plugged into the monitor. I’m thinking the issue is either the USB devices (specifically the Ethernet adapter) that’s plugged into the 5K that’s causing my issue. Or it could be trying to power two 5Ks from sleep.

MiBook84

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This happens almost daily on my MBP 15 2017 (Radeon Pro 560 4GB). It is very annoying and feels very unsafe since the computer actually ends up crashing almost every time I move between my home and office. I have never experienced a macbook pro this unstable. I have experienced this not only on mine but on many other of the same kind. I use a Thunderbolt display via adapter and a USB-C monitor often and the issue only happens in relation to connect and disconnect of these or my other monitors.

t3rminus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
Nope. It’s been replaced with the same model, a different model with an upgraded graphics chip, I’ve had the logic board replaced, and the display replaced. Overall it’s been replaced three times and rebuilt once, and the issue persists.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
Nope. It’s been replaced with the same model, a different model with an upgraded graphics chip, I’ve had the logic board replaced, and the display replaced. Overall it’s been replaced three times and rebuilt once, and the issue persists.

At this point I'm willing to bet this is a hardware defect with the original 2016s and Apple doesn't want to own up to it. Only time will tell if we'll have a repeat of the 2011 MBP graphics recall. And even if we do, the number of users that will still have their laptops with the 5K will be reduced. Apple's playing the numbers game and betting that many of us won't bail on their ecosystem.

t3rminus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
So I don't want to jump the gun here, but 10.13.4 seems to have resolved all of my issues. I've been using it for a few days without a single crash or black screen, or weird red/yellow screens...

There was a lot of work done on the GPU drivers and subsystem for this release to add/enable support for eGPUs over Thunderbolt, so it doesn't completely surprise me... Anyone else still having issues?

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
So I don't want to jump the gun here, but 10.13.4 seems to have resolved all of my issues. I've been using it for a few days without a single crash or black screen, or weird red/yellow screens...

There was a lot of work done on the GPU drivers and subsystem for this release to add/enable support for eGPUs over Thunderbolt, so it doesn't completely surprise me... Anyone else still having issues?

I have no clue what changed, but I managed to stay up for 25 days on 10.13.3 before having another sleep/wake failure. Been running great on .4 since it came out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Pierre Thibault

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2018
Levis, Quebec
I have this problem too but I don't need to reboot. I have a MBP 15" retina display Mid 2015 with Intel graphics and macOS 10.13.4. I have two external displays connected using Thunderbolt. When I wake up the Mac I often get one of the two displays showing a black background. Sometimes it is the screen on the left and sometimes it is the screen on the right. Sometimes I don't have this problem. Then I have to power off the black screen and power it up again to restore the image back. I have this problem since I bought the Mac in October 2016. I hope to have fix one day. I don't have this problem when using Windows on the same Mac.

braddoell

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2018
I realize this is a Macbook Pro forum, however.

I have a MacBook Air 2017 running 10.13.4 and am having the same sleep\wake issues. I also connect to external monitors in hotel rooms (using a third party lightening to HDMI connector) and initially thought that was the problem, based on this thread.

I went to the Genius Bar two days ago and they said to try disabling the "enable power nap" while on power adapter - but that did not work.

I normally work with my MacBook plugged in - constant sleep\wake problems, every single time. I am now trying it without plugging it in and have not had a problem at all running on battery power alone - sleeps and wakes without troubles.

Anyone else noticed this correlation? I will continue to try different scenarios to get narrow down the problem.

Last edited:

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I'm almost positive it has something to do with the OS. Recently purchased a 2016 15 inch from B&H because of the discount a little less than 2 months ago. The logic board along with the hard drive / graphics card and screen were replaced within the first 30 days because of graphic issues similar to what is going on in this thread.

I also have a 2013 MBP 15 inch with a dedicated graphics card running Yosemite that has NEVER had this issue (or any issue for that matter aside from minor things) - both of them are used for similar tasks and I constantly connect external monitors and audio interfaces to both in my home studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.