Mid-contract upgrade on Family Plan dilemma

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coasterswim, Jun 6, 2010.

1. coasterswim macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this process and if it's possible.

Our family plan has 5 lines, 1, 2 & 3 are iPhones and 4 & 5 are regular phones. This plot only concerns two lines.
    Line #1: My iPhone 3GS purchased June 2009. Contract is up June 2011 and full upgrade-eligible February 2011
    Line #2: Other iPhone 3GS purchased February 2010. Contract is up February 2012 and full upgrade-eligible October 2011.

When the new iPhone is announced tomorrow, I planned on doing a mid-contract upgrade on my Line (#1) which would be at the (assumed) $399 and $499 price points. AT&T's site says:
    Line #2 gets the same message, but of course has an October 2011 date quoted. Rather than push Line #1's competition dates out a year each, it would be smarter to buy my new iPhone with Line #2's semi-eligibility (same prices, of course), but that contract would only be extended by 4 months.

In regular phones, this wouldn't be an issue: buy the upgrade for Line #2, when the phone arrives, put my old full SIM card into the new phone and give the SIM card that arrived with the new phone to Line #2's old phone. However, the new iPhone will most likely have a Micro SIM which means we can't just do the SIM swap.

Has anyone ever done a transaction like this where AT&T allows you to order the phone for Line #2 but have the new SIM card be programmed for Line #1's phone number? Alternatively, do you think it will be possible for me to trade my full SIM for a Micro SIM after the new iPhone arrives?

Thanks in advance!

2. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

You would be able to cancel that line 1 earlier, then, but line 2 will still be for 2 years from when you buy it. Therefore, it really doesn't matter, since you can't cancel your ATT account for 2 years from your purchase date anyways.

3. coasterswim thread starter macrumors 6502

But doing so this way, my Line #1 will be eligible for a fully discounted upgrade June 2011 when the next iPhone comes out. Otherwise, it would still be semi-eligible.

4. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Your line #1 is eligible Feb2011, you said line 2 is June2011, so it really doesn't matter which you upgrade, since you will get a full upgrade on either next year if an iPhone comes out in june.

5. coasterswim thread starter macrumors 6502

But if I upgrade my Line #1 right now for the new iPhone, Line #1 then won't be fully upgrade-eligible until Feb 2012. Since Line #2 already doesn't get fully upgrade-eligible until October 2011, pushing it back to Feb 2012 is only a 4-month penalty as opposed to the 12-month penalty for Line #1.

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816