Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pro - Worth it for my Mom?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleGeek1127, Apr 9, 2015.

1. AppleGeek1127 macrumors member

AppleGeek1127

My Mom is currently using an old Thinkpad laptop running Windows Vista. It works fairly well for her, but today was the final straw.

I just got finished hooking up a new printer for her, but I had to spend several hours getting the drivers installed properly. Meanwhile, my MacBook Air was printing with no configuration whatsoever.

She's been a PC/Windows user for her entire life. However, she does see the benefits of the Mac and is considering switching to have things "just work."

Since she's a very light computer user who needs a ~15-17" screen just to read text, and all she really needs (IMO) is a Mac capable of running OS X Yosemite.

With this in mind, I figured that a Mid/Late 2007 - Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 15" would be a suitable machine for her.

We really don't want to spend much money, but I'm hesitant to buy a Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pro or an Early 2008 MacBook Pro because of the massive problems people have had with the GeForce 8600M GT.

Is a Mid/Late 2007 MacBook Pro 15" reliable enough for a light computer who simply wants something that "works" and doesn't want to pay an arm and a leg? Thanks.

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I won a 2007 MBP 15" from eBay few years ago and took it to Apple store to see if the logic board needs replaced and they did and I took out slow hard drive with Intel 320 series 160GB SSD it makes MBP runs butterly on both Mountain Lion and Lion OS X. I think 2009 is a safe way to buy it cuz Apple is no longer replace logic board on 2007 model anymore.

Good luck :apple: