Mid McBookpro Non-Retina and Yosemite

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tkwolf, Oct 17, 2014.

1. tkwolf macrumors 6502

Hi guys I tried to gooled and have looked around, can any of you tell me or maybe direct me to a thread on how non retina mid 2012 mcbook pros are doing with yosemite? performance and battery life?

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

2. corry20 macrumors regular

I have a early 2011 Macbook pro it works well actually it seems faster to me.Battery life is is about the same hasn't noticed any difference in it.I was worried about installing it on a older Macbook pro but I have been happy with it so far.

3. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I have the same MBP mid 2012 classic and I have run into a few issues.

1. Booting up the computer takes forever and some have told me my boot screen is different than the normal Yosemite boot.

2. When I shut down the computer I get the "click" sound as if I forced shut down the machine via the physical power button

3. When trying to backup to my time capsule it just says preparing backup but won't ever actually backup.

May post a thread about it but these are my issues hopefully someone else can chime in?

4. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I would like to ask, do you by any chance, still have the original HDD that came with the machine as the internal volume?

5. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Im not really sure I beleive so. I'm s little stuck right now.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Same here, no issues with my 2011 13" SSD MBP, just putting it on my MBA now...

One interesting First World problem might be having to make sure my iPhone can't be accessed from every Yosemite machine I use at the same time....

7. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I'm using it on a 2009 MBP and it runs a lot better than Mavericks did. And that isn't just conjecture like "Safari feels snappier" It really is performing better.

One of my biggest annoyances with Mavericks was graphical lag. Moving windows around the display, scrolling in Mail, Finder and the Messages app.

Using an external display especially crippled graphical performance. There would be very noticeable lag when moving an active application window around the display with the mouse, literally the window would be lagging behind the mouse at like 5 frames per second.

But in Yosemite, this is not the case. I'm getting a full 60 FPS dragging windows around, scrolling. It's a night and day difference.

That is the biggest change I've noticed. I have not seen any negatives to this upgrade whatsoever. It is either an improvement or the same performance depending on what your task is. I'm quite impressed as I expected it to run poorly.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It runs well...only with an SSD.

9. tkwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the replies! So I took the risk and upgraded.

As of this moment: no noticeable lag and it feels smooth but i don't know about battery life yet. I've also taken the liberty of upgrading my iMac with it. And in general, yosemite does feel better than mavericks did. With mavericks, my late 2012 iMac and mid 2012 MBPro felt a little laggy in some places.

10. Dented macrumors 6502a

As per a previous poster it's working well for me on my mid 2009 model. Quite impressed. They've managed to give it a big visual overhaul, and add some nice new features, without bloating it up at all as far as I can see.