Mid range screen for 2018 MacBooks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bulldoze, Jul 20, 2019.

1. bulldoze macrumors regular

As chance would have it both me and my wife have started new jobs with remote working options and we have both been provided with MacBooks. I have a 2018 15" and my wife has a 2017 13"

We also have our own personal MacBooks. I have a 2018 13" MacBook Pro and my wife has a 2017 MacBook.

We are hastily converting one of rooms into an office so we can take it in turns to work from home.

We need a 27" screen to connect our MB up to. Ideally it will have charging ability for the MBs. Ny wife just needs it for general office work while I will use it for coding.

About $600 or less? What does everyone recommend?

2. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

It would probably be hard to find such display that has both thunderbolt 3, is 27 inches, and can charge the MacBook. However, you could probably combine a thunderbolt 3 dock for about $300, plug in your power brick and 4K, 27 inch monitor into the dock for about $300-$400.

3. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

If it is going to cost earth just to have TB 3 and charging ability then I guess I could live without that. the main thing is to have a decent extra screen real estate.

If I have to put up with a mess of cables then so be it.

4. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

5. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

I was just about to buy a Dell S2719DC and then found out that the USB C is only 45W so would not charge my MacBook Pro

Who would have thought a monitor would be so tricky to buy! I just want 2k now and USB C at 60W that can't be too hard can it?

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My opinion only:
    DO NOT base your decision on which display to buy on it's "charging output".
    Buy a standalone "plug it in" USB charger for that.

7. bulldoze thread starter macrumors regular

I have caved in and got the LG 4k with extra insurance which comes with no quibble 14 day send it back if not happy.

With this hot weather I will have to work from home the next couple of weeks so I need one as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the help.