Mid-range Zoom

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DNA930, Oct 20, 2009.

1. DNA930 macrumors member

I have a question about the need for a mid-range zoom.

I have a D700 with Nikon 14-24 2.8, 50 1.4, and 70-200 2.8. Last week, a couple of friends who consider themselves "Semi-Pros", whatever that means, kept raving about how much their mid-range zooms were the greatest lenses ever made. I currently don't own a mid-range zoom and don't plan on getting one. I shoot landscapes with the wide-angle zoom and portraits and sports with my tele-zoom. For everything else in between, I use my 50 and reposition myself. Am I really missing out by not having a mid-range zoom?

2. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

If you don't truely have a need for a particular lens then the only thing you will be missing if you don't buy one is the hole in your wallet. If you have a very rare need for a lens then you can always rent one.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you were being paid to shoot a head and shoulders shot of every person at a wedding reception a low cost 18-55mm zoom would save you a ton of walking back and forth. Just be glad you are not a "semi-pro" who is paid for such work. That is the best part of being an amateur, you get to do what you want.

4. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Indoors in crowded locations is when a 24-70 f/2.8 shows it's merit because sometimes walking back enough to get the shot you want would mean walking through a wall.

I also use my 50 f/1.4 quite a bit, but if I could afford the 24-70 f/2.8 right now, it would be my most often used lens.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Agree that renting the 24-70 might be in order to see if that is something he would really use.