Mid-Size LCD TV Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bc008, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I am in the market for an LCD tv, and will probably be getting one on friday or saturday. I can spent up to 600 dollars.

My K-Mart has one on sale for 477, but with tax and insurance it will probably be around 550.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_...&+Electronics&cName=Televisions&sName=LCD+TVs

believe it or not, it was the best picture out of all the 32 and under TVs there, but it could just be it had a better connection/settings than the others

should i buy?
    i would also like to have some money for a DVD player, and maybe a cheap TV stand, as my tv has a dvd player built in, and my current tv stand is my missed night stand.

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Sylvania isn't too bad for a cheap LCD. I had a CRT Sylvania for a few years before I got my LCD and it worked fine. I would also recommend checking out Vizio and Westinghouse. The ones to avoid are brands that you have never heard of because they are usually the flavor of the month. There might not be any support in 6 months or less. Some brands don't even have a corporate website.

3. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

may i ask what LCD you have now?

i think im going to do it.

sylvania is actually something i have heard of, and only know vizio because of tv.

this is a regularly pretty pricy tv (for my standards) and wouldnt even consider it with its 700 dollar price tag.

477 is much more managable for a 14 year old.

4. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Well I have just been in the market for a new LCD TV, and a member on these forums recommended this.

It's a brilliant TV- can't state how good the picture is, especially with a HD source going through it (360, or HD-DVD). Would highly recommend.

Having seen friends in the past buying huge TVs thinking "bigger is better" only to find that the picture quality is really quite naff, I would recommending spending as much as you can afford on a smaller screen. You want a TV that will give you the best contrast ratio and brightness for your money. Other factors are also important, but those are the main two you should be looking for. If I had the choice of spending £400 on a 32" or a 23", I would take the 23" any day (because, generally speaking, the specs will be fantastic. Especially if it's a Samsung :p)

5. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I saw a SONY Brevia 32'' at COSTCO that had a nice HD picture.

6. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You should definitely go into the shop and ask to have a look at them. Everyones eye is different and you may prefer one TV while I prefer another. Try to look at them doing something you would everyday, just watching standard definition TV for instance. It may look great with a HD source but if you only watch standard definition on it then that doesn't really mean much.

7. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

well, the guy on ebay never paid for my computer, so looks like i may have to do a buy it now.

anyways this is postponed for a couple days, it just sucks because i wanted to be able to get it to someone before christmas

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Ha! I didn't even have a TV when I was 14! We all had to share the one in the living room. Anyhow with that said, I think the Sylvania would be an ok choice for you at that price. I have a 42" Vizio LCD 720p/1080i set that I bought for $852. I was planning on the 37" model and the guy at Wal-Mart told me they had 4 and he was going to bring one up to the front for me. When I got there...no TV! He came to the front and told me he was sorry that he told me the wrong information. I was in need of a TV because I had already sold my 32" to a friend. He suggested going up to the 42" model. Well to keep the story short, I asked for a discount and the manager gave me 10% off for getting a little "run around" in the store. The 37" would have been $764 and with the 10% discount I got the 42" for $852. I left the store a very happy man! Anyhow all things considered I am very happy with the Vizio. I am currently getting my local channels on digital and primetime HD looks great. I also have a Toshiba HD-A3 1080i HD DVD player (economy model) and movies look great. Last, the Wii looks fine running through component at 420p. Overall I am pretty impressed with Vizio for the price.

9. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

What HD source are you giving this LCD? If don't have anything that requires an HDTV, you can certainly save money and get a regular, non-HD LCD.

10. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

if i were to get this tv, i would upgrade my digital cable to HD for the extra 10dollars a month.

i am now considering a Vizio as my sale is over :(
    but lets hope there is a snow day tomorrow, and i can just watch my computer on ebay, and if it sells go an pick one up.

how much is a 42 regularly?
    im thinking about digging into my savings to get some extra inches ;)

11. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

12. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

From what I have read avoid Polaroid. I can't say much for RCA. Some of their products are good and some are not. It is not the same old RCA that was around when I was a kid. The LCD TV division is a joint venture with a Chinese corporation, of course, you will find most LCD TV's at this price are built in China. The Vizio is a solid performer for the price. The contrast ratio is a bit low, but for the price you are not going to see high contrast. I notice the more expensive RCA has a built in DVD player if this is something that might interest you. I am always leery of built in stuff, because it seems like that is the first thing to break. The 42" I own is a pretty big TV. I am not sure if you would want it for a bedroom TV, although I am not sure where you plan on putting it or how large your room is.

13. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i ended up getting a vizio!
    my cam is broken, and i cant get pics on to my comp w/ bluetooth, but il see what i can do