Mid to high end iPhone 4 Alarm/dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Unrealtechno, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Unrealtechno macrumors newbie

So there are 123,456,789 people asking about alarm clocks, I am no different except for one thing. I want perfection.

No incompatibility issues, no bright lights, no cheap construction and I need more than two alarms due to my job so I want have 5-6 set and then activate/deactivate them as necessary.

1. At first I looked at iHome's iA5. I really like their app but after actually feeling the construction and hearing the sound, it is not for me. Plus it only offers 4 levels of dimming.
    2. I took a trip to the Bose store this afternoon to look at the wave radio with iPod dock. I LOVE how the display dims but the stupid "accessory not supported" warning pops up and the radio cannot wake up to AUX in. If you leave the radio set to AUX it will turn off after 24 hours...not something I want to have to worry about.
    3. Now I'm looking at the Sounddock 10. It would use iHome's app to play through the iPod input, has no incompatibility messages, and seems solid. At $600 it's at the high end of what I'd like to spend so I'm coming to you.

What do the picky folks out there use and why?

2. accrane macrumors member

i have tried several ihomes and IMO they are garbage. I am using a Logitech Squeezebox Boom. It has very good sound and alarm clock capabilities. It ties into my wireless network to play music from my laptop itunes library. I can also stream pandora and 100's of internet radio stations. I also have an iphone app called iPeng that allows me to use my phone as a remote, including browsing music libraries.

3. Kabir8 macrumors regular

I have one of the older iHomes, and for the Volume and Tuner controls its an almost flush wheel that you spin, and my knob doesn't respond as it should, I have to press HARD or at a certain angle to spin it.
    The new ones have a button instead I believe, could fix it, but I hate when products have such poor design that it becomes a hassle more than a convenience.

If you have the cash, go with B + W products.

4. Unrealtechno thread starter macrumors newbie

This is very interesting. If I were to use the iHome app, would it handle the sound out of the iphone? I'm assuming it would. How dim does the display get?

5. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

JBL soundstage III + iPhone 4's built in alarm clock = a nice alarm clock/dock

6. Unrealtechno thread starter macrumors newbie

My cousin has one, it seems functional but not...super cool, but I might play around with one at Best Buy next time I'm there. What I like about the Bose (and potentially B&W) is the weight and the fact that the SoundDock's iPhone dock can be replaced. Not just inserts, but the entire dock and connecter. Tell me more about the Squeezebox (beyond what their site has) looks interesting. How is the build quality? What brick and mortar stores have these to test?

7. accrane macrumors member

not sure what the iHome app is...There is a line in cable that you can plug your phone into, or any mp3 for that matter. The display is fully adjustable and can be set to a very dim setting. Also all settings can be adjusted on the unit itself and also on your computer. I purchased mine on sale at best buy and they did have a unit out to test.

8. Unrealtechno thread starter macrumors newbie

Go into the app store and search for ihome, it's called ihome + sleep. Also, I should have clarified more but another requirement is that it be an iPhone dock which knocks the Logitech out. Suddenly the bigger soundstages are becoming inceasingly appealing...

9. Sgt93 macrumors 6502

Sgt93

Bose Soundock Series 2. Love it! It will use the alarm in your iPhone.