Mid2010 MBP: can it read SDXC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eriktbrinke, Sep 15, 2014.

1. eriktbrinke macrumors newbie

Hi there

I'm curious if my MBP can read SDXC cards.
    This is because I'd like to expand my storage with an JetDrive Lite 128gb SDXC card.

The exFAT format was only fully introduced in the second half of 2010, and because my MBP was also introduced in mid2010, it may be so that the SD card reader that's build in doesn't yet support read/write access for SDHC/SDXC cards.

Does someone has any experience with an mid2010 macbook with SDXC cards? Or even more specifically the JetDrive Lite cards?
    On the manufacturers site it isn't listed as "supported" (http://www.transcend-info.com/Apple/jetdrivelite/)
    But at macrumors someone posted a screen of his card reader in System Information.
    His screencap (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=244689&d=1281278094) listed the Type, Vendor ID, Product ID, Revision, and Serial number. Under Type it says SDHC (which also supports SDXC).
    Mine only lists everything but the Type. Still, everything else seems to correspond with his built-in card reader (see attachment).

Does this mean that my built-in Card Reader has read/write access to SDXC cards?

Thanks in advance!
    Erik

Mid2010 MBP, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), i7

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I don't think so

I looked into one for my 2010 but seem to remember that SDC was the best format it supported.

3. illusionx macrumors 6502

SDXC was introduced together with the 2011 iCore processors. So no, your MBP does not support it.

4. drambuie macrumors 6502a

SD supports up to 2GB.
    SDHC supports up to 32GB.
    SDXC supports up to 1TB.

The card reader in my 15" mid 2010 MBP can use SDHC cards. I don't have any SDXC cards to try on it. Actually, my MBP was the October 2010 revision, but it still has the same model and serial number SD reader as the examples posted here.