mid2010 mbp ssd harddrive failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mikeosoft, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Mikeosoft macrumors newbie

Hey 30 minutes ago I was using google chrome, I went to open up an avi file on my optibay installed 500gig storage hd, when the beachball popped up, the computer froze 20 seconds after. I manually resarted, reset dram, smc reset, the computer boots up to the grey screen but hangs before the appple logo, as if it is searching for harddrive ids... I'm guessing my ssd either is dead or my stock 500 in the optibay is dead. I'm very upset because I'm in LA on business trying to find a job and don't have my tools or spare drives here.

Any other things to try before popping it open and checking for hardware malfunction/cable issues?

Sorry for the shotty text I'm writing this from my acient and slow android moto droid

2. Mikeosoft thread starter macrumors newbie

hey just an update as i type from someone else's computer.

I see no one really cares or knows, either way I'll assume the second situation, and give more details and progress.

Further Details:

MBP 6.2 15"
    8gb ram upgrade 6 months ago going strong
    60 gb vertex 2 SSD upgraded 1.2 years ago
    optibay installed with stock 500gb seagate 7200.4 2.5 originally in the hd bay
    DVD optidrive back home in NYC
    stock 4gb ram back home in NYC

Now that I think about it, I just installed the video update before the issues started, but I'll assume that's not the root cause.... wait.... should I rule that out?>

Anyways, in the meantime I've gotten ahold of some jewelers toolset and have opened the back and removed the ram sticks and re-inserted them individually with no difference, it boots to the grey screen and makes the noise then hangs before the Apple logo displays like its waiting on harddrive response that never comes.

[​IMG]

So i've decided to remove the optibay, and try booting without anything attached to the optical drive sata connector, is that safe?

If that doesn't result in a better outcome I'll remove the SSD and boot with the optibay harddrive which has my bootcamp install of Win7 on it, if i recall I can hold down the Option key during bootup to select windows 7, right?
    Can anyone with experience or insight into this issue advise if i'm going about this correctly?

3. Mikeosoft thread starter macrumors newbie

looks like the vertex 2 60 gig that's been strong for almost 1 1/2 years is now dead...

I've removed it, put it in an external sata usb drive, attached it to my sisters mbp and nothing comes up in disk utility.

I've googled vertex 2 sandforce dead issues, and am going to try this:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...2VTXE240G-R-not-recognized-by-bios-Os-ext-usb

before emailing OCZ for an RMA or something... I don't think an SSD should die this quickly, and worst is I have a feeling they are going to replace mine with a slower version of the vertex 2, if I'm honest.